Chapter 20: Doubts

Chapter 20:  Doubts

Kathryn was late. Very, very late. She fell asleep on the couch last night and got too comfortable that she overslept. She was an hour late that she didn't really bother checking her phone instead she got dressed and brush her teeth then speed-drove to the office. Her employees didn't seem to care though. She's the boss. However, it's not how Kathryn wants to be remembered. She walked fast to the elevator as she tried to get her phone from her bag without looking. She pressed the button to her office and then checked her phone. There was absolutely no messages or missed calls from Auden. It was a surprise because as soon as it hit 8AM and Kathryn was still nowhere to be found, Auden would start calling her. She found it odd and exited the elevator only to stop on her tracks when she noticed a boy sitting in front of her office door. His back was pressed on the wall, his eyes were closed and his hand was clamped against the other. She slowly walked towards the boy and cleared her throat. He opened his eyes to reveal his bloodshot eyes then stood up. He didn't even flinch that Kathryn was in front of her. He seemed sad, stressed and maybe a little nervous. 

"Can I help you?" Kathryn asked. 

"I-- well-- I don't think so." 

Kathryn raised her eyebrows and moved closer to her door. 

"Why are you doing here then? You do know you're in the associates floor right?" 

The boy nodded and scratched his eye before putting his hand behind him. 

"Auden wasn't in her office so I figured she would be here. But I didn't want to barge in or something." 

"You know Auden?" 

"I do." He nodded. His eyes brightened up as soon as he heard Auden's name but he looked down immediately as if he didn't want to talk about it. "I'm her boy--" He sighed and shook his head. "Ex-boyfriend. I just really, really want to see her and talk to her. Is she-- is she there?" 

Kathryn slowly opened her office and saw Auden slumped back on the couch with a bunch of folders in her hand but she was staring at the table. Kathryn closed the door and faced the boy. 

"She's not there. She probably took the day off." 

"Oh." The boy ran his fingers through his hair in distraught and nodded once again. "Thanks. But if she ever comes in late, can you tell her I dropped by to see her?" 

This boy had no idea that Kathryn is the boss. His informal way of talking to her made Kathryn smile. Usually, every single person in her building couldn't even keep eye contact with her. 

"I will." She smiled. "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name." 

"JC. Tell her I love her as well." And with that, he turned his back to Kathryn. She watched him walk slowly to the elevator. He pushed the down button and crossed his arms as he waited, then his shoulders started shaking. He was crying. Kathryn had to hold herself back; she had an urge to go and comfort him. JC's hands covered his face, making it more obvious that he was having a mental breakdown. Kathryn opened the door to her office with a bit of a force this time, making Auden suddenly stand up and offer her a smile. 

"Good Morning, Miss Bernardo. Your schedule for today is ready, ma'am. You have a re-scheduled meeting at 10:30 and you have a lunch meeting at 12. Your afternoon schedule--" 

Kathryn raised her hand for Auden to stop. She sat down on her swivel chair and pointed to the chair in front of her for Auden to sit down. 

"Are you alright, Auden?" She asked. 

"I am." She offered her a smile. You know the kind of smile, cashiers are forced to give you while paying? Or the smile kids give you when they did something horrible. It was that kind of smile.