Chapter 41: Business and Relationships

"The Supreme Court closed the Bernardo Enterprises Holdings Incorporations versus BP Airlines case yesterday." Auden looked up from her phone to Kathryn, looking for answers. There had been five hearings for this case and every single hearing was blocked off in Kathryn's calendar. Auden doesn't really go with Kathryn since she has her lawyers with her but when Atty. Austin sent her the text, she was confused. Baffled, even. She was already calculating the costs of the damage claims they're supposed to pay DJ's airlines.

"Good." Kathryn smiled and then proceeded typing away on her computer. Auden closed the door and walked in front of Kathryn's table. "Do you need anything else, Auden?"

"One question." She said, holding up her index finger. Kathryn stopped typing and waited for her to ask. "What was the court decision? I mean, I know it's none of my business but Atty. Austin-"

"Ask Atty. Austin, then and besides, show some excitement because that's one case down and another case to go. What did Atty. Austin say about Eduardo Joly's case?"

"Regarding Eduardo Joly," Auden started and checked her phone. "You have a meeting with Atty. Austin in about five mi-" Before she could finish, someone knocked on Kathryn's door. "Or now."

"Let her in."

Auden nodded, walked to the door and politely greeted Atty. Austin a good morning. She exited Kathryn's office and closed the door. Atty. Auden gave her a smile and raised both of her hands up in a celebratory manner.

"Well?" Kathryn laughed.

"We neither won or lost the case against BP Airlines because for some reason, the owner and CEO of BP, wouldn't sign any papers regarding the case against us and he isn't showing up during the hearings! To think, that his damage claims might have reached ten million or so-" Atty. Austin rambled and then sat on the couch instead of the chair in front of Kathryn. Kathryn gave her a sheepish smile and shrugged. She never told her lawyers, not even Atty. Austin that she and DJ are in a relationship. She felt like it wasn't necessary. Well, at that time she was just convinced that she and DJ are both going to deal with the case as business man and woman. Not until, the hearings actually started. DJ was quiet when he picked her up, he was quiet when they had dinner. He barely uttered a word or touched her. He was even quieter driving home. It was as if he wanted to tell her something but couldn't bring himself to do it. Before he could get back to his car after dropping her off in front of her house, Kathryn had to ask. So she did. DJ was unsure. He knew Kathryn was going to get pissed off if she found out why because frankly, he didn't know why he was going to do it. After a few minutes of prodding him to tell her the truth, he finally did. Saying that he wasn't going to sign any cases against her company and he wasn't going to show up any of the hearings. His board members, of course, wanted to sue the life out of BEHI. Since a lot of people's lives were put to risk and their investors were threatening to pull out but DJ didn't care, saying he was going to pay the damage claims himself, from his own bank account. Kathryn didn't know what to feel. So, she walked out on him and left him in her driveway. Five minutes later, she walked back out again. DJ was sat in the car, thinking deeply. He was tired and pissed off. Clearly, Kathryn's reaction was why he didn't want to tell her.

"Kathryn's your weak spot. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing." He remembers his brother, RJ saying to him when he told him the news. He knew RJ was right and as a businessman himself, RJ was adamant about DJ's decision but later reached a compromise that they'd just let the Supreme Court trash the case as long as they pull out from Kathryn's company.

"You have to stop putting me first. This is business, DJ." Kathryn said a couple of days later when she decided to talk to him. DJ shook his head. Of course, she doesn't understand and he's too tired to explain. So, the hearings pushed through with neither Kathryn nor DJ attending the hearings; neither of them speaking to each other.