Chapter 29: Because I said so

"Kathryn, if you're not going to pull over, let me drive. We've been driving around your lot for about 20 minutes now and to be honest, I'm really dizzy." Miles complained as she peaked from the back seat. Kathryn wasn't speaking, she just continued to drive all around the lot. Miles rolled her eyes and glared at Kathryn. Yes, she was grieving but she was already dizzy from the plane ride and whatever Kathryn was doing.

"Are you sure this is my house?" Kathryn asked both Miles and Daniel, pointing to the rest house that was surrounded by Christmas decorations.

"Yes." Both Miles and DJ replied in unison. Miles gave DJ a pleading look to convince Kathryn to pull over and he nodded. DJ put his hand on top of Kathryn's thigh before smiling.

"Kath, Miles is going to throw up in your car. Please, pull over in front." He said. Kathryn looked at DJ before finally stopping the car. She parked in front of her house under a tree. A sigh of relief was heard from the back seat. The three unbuckled their seatbelts, ready to go.

"Christmas decorations aren't usually put up before Papa's death anniversary." Kathryn muttered.

"Your mom must have had a change of heart." Miles smiled.

"Or Lhexine is here initiating the whole thing." DJ added, pointing to the almost 11 year old girl carrying a bunch of tinsel as she ran towards the car. DJ got out of the car first. He crouched on the ground and opened his arms for the little girl. "I've missed you!"

"You're actually here!" She grinned, removing the tinsel that was hung around her neck.

"How've you been?" DJ asked, picking up the little girl from the ground. He felt a hand on his waist and there was Kathryn smiling at her niece. Miles was already marching in the rest house greeting Kathryn's mom and siblings.

"And you're here too!" Lhexine yelled, trying to wriggle out of DJ's grasp and moving to Kathryn.

"Yes, we are. How are you, my little baby?" She asked, walking to the door.

"Bub-- do you--" DJ stopped, as soon as their endearment slip out of his mouth. Kathryn's lips cracked into a teasing smile.

"What did you just call me?"

"I believe he called you, butt." Lhexine replied, laughing.

"Oh." Kathryn joked, joining in her laughter. "No, worries. Come with us, I'm sure mom is excited to see you."

DJ jogged towards Kathryn. He was actually really thankful for Lhexine. If it wasn't for the Christmas decorations and infectious happy mood, Kathryn would probably be scowling until now.

"So, you did all this?" DJ asked the kid, motioning to the tinsel she was holding and the Christmas lights around the wall.

"Kind of and grandma." She shrugged, jumping out of Kathryn's hold and running inside. "Auntie Kathryn and Uncle DJ are here!" She announced.

"She still calls me Uncle DJ, eh?" He grinned.

"Just the way it should be." Kathryn whispered, pulling her two sisters in a hug. They both shrieked because they were startled by her actions but as soon as they saw DJ, they let go of Kathryn and engulfed him in a hug. Kathryn shook her head and walked towards her only brother, giving him a tight hug as well.

"I see, you're still together." He acknowledged.

"We're not like, together - together."

"Are you working out your issues?"