Chapter 30: Merry Christmas!

It was the 24th of December and Kathryn was wrapping gifts in her office. They ended up staying for a week in her mom's place at their province that she had a bunch of work to do during Christmas week and on top of that she forgot to do her Christmas shopping not until yesterday night when she saw Miles wrapping. The plan today was to spend the 24th with DJ's family and then, both of them would fly to Nueva Ecija on the 25th. Miles had her own plans with hers with Marco's family and it was only this morning that she started wrapping their gifts. If Miles found out about this, she would have an earful.

"Auden, you can go home." Kathryn said immediately as soon as her door opened with Auden and her coffee.

"It's 4 in the afternoon, ma'am. I think I can last for a couple more hours." She joked, placing the cup on top of her table. "I'll help." She added, grabbing the wrapper roll and the box of perfume for Marco. She sat in front of Kathryn who was concentrating on taping the edges of the wrapper.

"Did Miles call?"

"Yes, twice. I told her you were at a meeting."

"Good." Kathryn sighed. She wasn't really supposed to go to the office today or the two days after that but Miles was at home and she promised her that her gifts were at her office. "I'm so screwed. Did DJ call?"

"Once. But he said to tell you that he was Christmas shopping." Kathryn nodded. DJ was behind paper works too when they flew back to Manila so she understood the level of stress DJ was put under. But he was always more chill than she was. Sometimes at two in the morning, when she knows DJ is stuck at his office as well, she would call him complaining about the bunch of papers she has to sign and study and edit. DJ would often just laugh and tell her to chill. They would both get back to work with the other still on the line. "I don't understand how you forgot to tell me to do your Christmas shopping this year."

"I didn't forget. I wanted to do it myself." Kathryn shrugged, gesturing to the paper bags under her desk. "DJ was doing his on his own and I just wanted to do it as well."

They spent the next four hours talking and wrapping and talking and wrapping. It was an endless cycle but they were exchanging stories and laughs that they didn't really notice the time. At 8pm, Kathryn's phone rang and she struggled to get it under the pile of wrappers and tapes but nevertheless, she did and it was DJ.

"Bub." She pressed her phone to hear and tried to balance it with her shoulder as well. She was wrapping her last present whilst Auden was writing names on them.

"Hi, I haven't talked to you today. How are you?" DJ asked. It seemed like he was inside his car. It was too quiet.

"I'm wrapping presents with Auden. How was your Christmas shopping?" She pushed the gift to Auden and mouthed the name of the recipient. She held her phone properly now. She stood up, crumpling the strips of wrappers with one hand and throwing it in the bin.

"Good but I had them wrap it for me." He chuckled making Kathryn smile too. "Do you need me to pick you up?"

"I would love to but I need to drop off some gifts at Marco's place. Miles said she's there already. And besides that, I have a bunch of gifts to put in my trunk. I don't think it would fit in yours."

DJ paused. "Okay. Where do I meet you then?"

"Just go home and I'll go there around 11-ish. I still have to shower and get the food that I ordered."

"That's fine. Okay, I'm going to drive now so I'll talk to you later. I love you."

"Drive safe, bubba. I love you too." She ended the call and faced Auden who was tidying up her table. "Thanks, Aud. Wouldn't know what to do without you."