Part Three ~ Chapter Nineteen

“He just let us go, we are still alive when he could have just killed us.”

-Matt

_____________

I swore at the phone when the call dropped, pleading helplessly that there was another way to communicate with them.

"Smoke signals?" Julia asked. "What exactly does Kyle think we are capable of?"

"He's probably just going to find someway to direct us to where they are. From here none of us actually know how to get to wherever they are-."

"The rope bridge," I interjected. "They are waiting at the rope bridge at the moment, and if we were able to know where that was then we could find them."

"How much battery is left on your phone?"

"It's just about where Andrew's is right now, so even though it's a smart phone I don't think it would be able to locate anything on maps at the moment. I'm going to just shut it off altogether."

"The one time that we might actually need maps at this school..." Johnny groaned, rubbig his hands down his face. "Why is luck never on our side?"

"Everyone's so negative about this. Think a little positively, guys. He just let us go, we are still alive when he could have just killed us." My wobbly voice gave away that I didn't even believe my own words.

"It would've been better if he could kill us without all the mind-fucking. If he's going to kill us, kill us. If not, leave us the hell alone." Julia's eyes were dark with anger, and I stumbled a little in my step at the fierceness she held in those two sentences alone.

“Julia gets feisty guys, watch out,” Johnny joked lightly. “In all seriousness though, what now?”

“Well, it honestly looks like rain. Plus, for movement tomorrow we will need energy, so we should find someplace to sleep.”

“The smoke signals?” Johnny questioned.

“Kyle’s smart. They can’t do that if it rains, he knows that. They won’t be doing it till morning. Don’t worry. Now, come on, we have to get something set up before the rain starts.”

Working quickly to avoid being drenched, Julia and Johnny helped me pull out some sweatshirts and blankets to hang from a large boulder, held down by rocks, and across to a stack of logs we piled up.

“Is this really going to work?” Julia asked, doubtful. “It’s only, like, three feet tall.”

“We’ll be lying down. Come on, before it starts to rain; then it’ll be really hard to fall asleep.” I scooted underneath the pretend-tarp. I, personally, probably wouldn’t be sleeping at all though. The way that Mr. Grey had left us was unsettling, to say the least. Sleep would be sparse. The gun was entirely powerless against the mind tricks Mr. Grey could play with us. I would have to try and convince Julia and Johnny to sleep though, because otherwise finding the others in the morning would be impossible.

“Look, you built it right in time.” As Johnny and Julia layed down next to me, the rain stored up in the clouds finally let loose.

“Come on guys,” I sighed. “Let’s try to get some sleep.”

***

The weather was rather mucky in the morning. Food options were nonexistent, and nobody had gotten much more than four hours of off and on sleep.

“Where to now?” Johnny stretched and yawned, his stomach calling out for more food. “And what about something to eat?”

“We have no food, remember?” I was ashamed to have to give out this bad news, but it was the truth. “And we really can only sit and wait. It’s around eight in the morning right now, and I am guessing that they won’t hold off too long on sending us a signal. My faith is in Kyle right now.”

“Great,” Johnny groaned. “I’ll be laying here.” Immediately his figure slumped back down into sleeping position. I would give him about another ten minutes until he was out like a light.

It really was strange to think about everything that was going on. Thinking was all I could do, yet my mind still couldn’t wrap around the fact that our teacher was my mother’s ex-boyfriend still hung up on the past, and now that same man was trying to kill us out of a jealous rage he possessed.

And then there was Kathryn. What role did she even play in all of this? She died because of us, and then whatever agency she worked with gave us a gun.

Trying to comprehend it all made my head spin, so I let it go.

“You know, you really could have told us everything that happened with…Kelly.” I winced at the mention of her name as I felt the pressure of Julia’s hand resting on my shoulder.

“I…why are you bringing this up?”

“Because I know you. You probably spend more time worrying about all of us than you do about yourself, and sometimes you need a person to worry about you. We all do though, worry that is.”

“I just…look; I have a feeling in my gut about today. Fear is just eating me up right now.” I carefully sidestepped the topic Julia had been trying to bring up. I knew they all wanted me to talk more about it with them, but I honestly couldn’t.

Julia sighed, understanding my tactics. “Alright, Matt, we can talk about that instead.” She settled into a position with her ankles crossed in front of her, brushing herself clean. “What are you afraid of?”

“What do you think.” It wasn’t even a question.

“Oh, I already know, Matt. Just don’t pressure yourself about this all. There isn’t anything you can do. Mr. Grey will do what Mr. Grey wants to do. We have no way of predicting what that will be, but we can meet up with the others and go through this together. That’s all we can do, Matt. That’s all we can do.”

And she was right, which was why she was my best friend. They were all my best friends, and I couldn’t be more thankful for them.

“Guys, I think that’s our signal.” I turned around to see where Johnny’s finger was pointing to, confirming that it was definitely the others trying to lead us to them.

“Alright.” I stuffed anything we had taken out of the backpack away. “Shall we?”

***

“Johnny!” Amy immediately smothered her brother with an embrace at our arrival.

“Hey, Matt.” I grinned at my own brother, hugging him myself after giving him a look over to make sure he was all okay.

“And you all are doing fine?”

“As fine as the circumstances will allow.” Andrew and I slapped each other on the back, nodding in a silent exchange of words.

“Kyle, you directed us well. It wasn’t such a long way, but we are all starving.”

“Yeah, well, we have the same problem on that end. No food. But we can survive, it isn’t much longer to get back from here. As long as nothing goes wrong.”

I shuddered at Kyle’s words of reminder.

As long as nothing went wrong indeed.

-----------------------------------------------------

Get excited for the last few chapters guys, because I PROMISE it ends with a bang!

And then the last part will be written :0 Are you all prepared? Because I bet you have zero idea what I have up my sleeve!

Please support this story! It is in the Watty Awards. Also, nominate for special awards!! Merci mes amis!!

xx

Ella

Comment, Vote, Fan, Special Awards<3