Part Three ~ Chapter Fourteen

"We could always count on Mr. Grey to make us feel perfectly safe. Not."

-Matt

----------------

One thing I would definitely say I was thankful for at this moment, if anything, was that the bag that we still had was the most important one. If Mr. Grey had taken the one with the gun, keys, and map I don’t know what would have happened. That would add even more of an advantage to what he already had.

“I just…why? How?” Amy muttered a lot of nonsense under her breath, and I knew she was also trying to piece together what had just happened.  “He…they were…”

My eyes darted around the woods, and I noticed Andrew joining me as I tried to find anything suspicious in the trees. Out of my own nervousness, I pulled out the gun and decided to keep it in my hand from that point on. The others at first looked almost startled by this action, but they knew what I was thinking and didn’t say anything.

“Are we almost at the cabin?” Johnny complained, kicking at some stones along the ground. Kyle, in answer to his question, pulled out the map and started showing Johnny the route.

            “See? The key says that each inch is equivalent to this distance…so the distance left we must cover is…”

            “Nevermind! I can see it through those trees!” Johnny, Kyle, and Ethan all bursted forwards, ignoring my warnings to be careful of roots and branches.

            I used the key to unlock the door to the cabin, carefully opening it afterwards. Shock spilled over all of our faces at what was in front of us, and I quickly rubbed my eyes to see if I was somehow being deceived.

            “Our…our bags. They are right here.” Amy started pacing back and forth, clearly baffled. “Nobody can get in here without a key. This is not okay, guys. Did any of you do this? Please tell me you did!”

            “Guys…someone had to have gotten in to leave these there…” Kyle double checked for any unlocked windows or back doors of any sort, and he came up short.

            Almost as if it had become a reflex, I gripped the gun tightly in my hands. I turned on my heel in a circle, slowly surveying the cabin. It looked completely normal though, everything in the same methodical arrangement we had left it in. How could someone have possibly gotten in and out without doing any sort of damage, unless they had a key. I already knew the answer though.

Mr. Grey.

He had a position of authority in te school, he had an opportunity to get a key. Mr. Grey was a man who always found a way to get what he wanted, and I was sure that if he wanted a key to our cabin he would get one.

"Now, guys, this isn't something to panic about..." Andrew left his words hanging fragilely in the air as we all looked at him in question. "We are perfectly safe in here right now, nobody is in this room, so we are just fine at the moment. Let's all calm down a little before freaking out like I know we all want to."

Ignoring Andrew's words in his attempt to assuage our fear, I took some time to walk around the room and inspect every little thing there was. Under the mattresses, behind the door, everywhere. There wasn't anything I wanted to miss. But I came up empty, without an answer. Everything looked perfectly the same as to how we left it, and, as Kyle had said, the only way someone could have gotten inside was with a key.

We could always count on Mr. Grey to make us feel perfectly safe. Not.

Compared to the power Mr. Grey had shown us he had, we were like feeble old men and women, not capable of defending ourselves. I wished that I could give Ethan back his childhood, let him be a guileless little boy again. None of us could be so ingenuous about everything, we had to act as if nobody was trustworthy.