Part One ~ Chapter Two

“No way in hell was I letting that boy signing up for dance, the one thing I actually enjoyed!”

-Amy

_____________________

Chapter Two

“Hey, I’m Tanya!” An overly-excited girl stuck her hand out to greet Julia and I to the cabin, emitting a youthful exuberance. Her brown hair bounced up and down in her pony tail, a cheery smile upon her face. I could already tell she was the kind of girl who would be ‘I don’t need coffee! I’m peppy all on my own!’ I didn’t know whether to be worried about this sort of thing or not.

“Here she goes again,” a voice came from the figure over in the dark corner with a hint of annoyance, making me jump in surprise a little.

“That’s Nancy, don’t mind her… She’s not a people person.” Tanya shrugged it off, immediately turning back to us.

I traded a look with Julia, a bit unsure of what to do. In both of my hands were heavy bags, weighing me down slightly off balance. If only I had packed fewer clothes… Yeah right. Clothes and me were like peanut butter and jelly, friends at heart.

The girl in the corner came out from the shadows to reveal her black hair lined with streaks and her heavily coated eyeliner. This immediately reminded me of this one scary girl back in my old school who would spend her lunch in the bathroom piercing odd parts of her body.

Nancy rolled her eyes at Tanya. “Can’t you see that you’re freaking them out? At least let them put their damn bags down! The things I have to deal with. One day I swear I’m gonna-”

“Right!” Tanya hurriedly gestured for us to pick a space to put away our stuff, stopping Nancy from continuing. I was about to put my five overstuffed bags down by the window before collapsing into a heap on the floor, but the door to the cabin flew open. Both Nancy and Tanya halted their bickering, whirling around to face forward. The way Tanya’s spine went rigid bothered me slightly.

“I hope you aren’t scaring the new kids,” the person at the door sneered. “You two can never seem to get along.” The lady looked just out of college and was so beautiful it was intimidating. Waves of blonde curls lay down her back and her eyes were a sea of blue. She slowly turned her head to face each of us, as if inspecting to see if we were good enough to pass some test of hers. I had the urge to inform her that staring was rude, but figured now wasn’t the right time.

I noticed that Nancy bit back her tongue from snapping a remark at the person in the doorway, probably to comment on how we weren’t kids, we were ninth graders.

The lady stepped into the cabin and started to pace the room, sort of like a drill sergeant. “I’m Kathryn, your cabin counselor. I am a no nonsense type of person. You will wake up at six and be out no later than ten. If these rules are broken, there are no second chances. You will be reported straight to the headmaster’s office. As for respect, it is expected that you treat me as your elder. I am not here to be your friend and get all buddy-buddy with any of you.”

Nobody else spoke a word. I glanced at Julia nervously; this was exactly the sort of thing I didn’t want to happen at Hamilton Academy. A crappy counselor who ruined every single late night and didn’t let anyone party. Just another reason I didn’t want to go to Hamilton Academy in the first place.

Kathryn rolled her eyes and glared me and Julia, who were standing meekly to the side so we didn’t get in the way of her tyrant. But I guess it didn’t end up working that way. “You gonna introduce yourselves or do you need help with that?” Each of her words seemed to sting more than the last, like venom from a vicious snake.