Part Two ~ Chapter Seven

"She saved my brother, and then most likely died because of that."

-Matt

------------

Usually after the rain everything is nice. Birds outside are chirping, the air smells fresh, the grass is greener, and everything is just nicer in general.

Unfortunately, this wasn't the case.

Puddles had formed everywhere, mud covered everything, and anything living drooped from the storm.

We were all back to not talking. I wished that maybe after yesterday we would be close once again, but we weren't. Classes were even more awkward, with it being just the seven of us. I ended up spending more time than wished to with Charlotte today. All she wanted to talk about was what she planned on wearing to the dance.

"It needs to be baby blue. If it isn't, then it won't compliment my eyes. The darker shade if blue that the dress I wants comes in simply won't do. The dress may look stunning but the color can't be seem on me." Charlotte babbled on about problems with the dress's length, color, sparkles, straps, and anything else she could mention. I zoned out the second she said 'baby blue.' I make such a great boyfriend. Then again, she isn't exactly such a good girlfriend either.

"Look. I have to go. Bye Charlotte." I had finished my three posters, and she was currently working on the rest. I couldn't stand any more of her talk about the dance, though.

Everything, including the dance, felt quite meaningless. We had once again been reminded about the power of Mr. Grey had. He could kill someone whenever he wanted to. Kathryn's death was just another example of that fact, and it felt like a ton of bricks were sitting on my shoulders knowing these things.

Who is safe? We didn't have a clue what might happen next.

I almost wish we had told someone when this first happen. Almost. I knew that the guilt would eat my parents alive. Knowing the reason everything happened had to do with them.

"You're really bad at this."

"Bad at what?" Charlotte's voice had snapped me back to reality. I turned in my seat at one of the lounge tables so that I was facing her.

"Dating. You suck at being a boyfriend. You won't even spend more than twenty minutes with me. Do you know what this makes our relationship look like to people?" Charlotte looked absolutely furious at me, and I could suddenly picture her head turning into a volcano. Lava and ash would pour from, and any intelligent person would run and hide.

"What does it make us look like?" I questioned in a bored tone. It wasn't as if out relationship was base off any feelings. Neither of us were in love with the other, so I wasn't hurting Charlotte's feelings. All that she was angry about was the fact that we weren't acting like the 'perfect couple.'

"It makes us look fake!" People should look up to us, but we don't look like a dream come true. You don't care about me at all, and people will be able to tell." Okay, so I guess Charlotte was in mega-bitch mode. What she said wasn't entirely true either. It's not that I didn't care about her, it was more like I find her annoying the second she opens her mouth. If he was actually hurt I would feel pretty bad for her, but until then she just bugs the crap out of me.

"Alright Charlotte. Sorry," I said, just to get her to shut her mouth. I leaned over and gave her a kiss before getting up and walking out of the room. I couldn't have been more glad that it was dinner.

***

I sat at a table with my friends from the football team like I had been doing for a while now. Many people were down about Kathryn's death, but not as down as the members of my tribe. We knew something nobody else did about her death. Something that I didn't like knowing. The fact that she was murdered, and that there was a high possibility that it was by Mr. Grey, really kept me awake last night.

"Hey man. Where were you?" I looked at my phone and realized I was a little late. I shrugged in response to Tyler, pointing towards where Charlotte was seated a few spots down.

"She was doing the posters." I decided not to mention how I made three, although I'm sure it would be obvious later which ones weren't done by Charlotte. Mine looked a little like they were made by a hippo... blindfolded. Art was never really something I was good at.

"I got Anya to do mine, luckily." Anya was Tyler's girlfriend. They only recently started going out, but she was a pretty cool girl. She wasn't afraid to speak her mind a lot. She was sitting at the other end of the table near Charlotte and all of the other girls dating guys on the football team.

Everyone chatted about the upcoming game against one of the neighboring towns. Ever since beating Alton Prep the whole team had been in high spirits. I stayed quiet during the talk though, lost in my thoughts. I watched intently as Mr. Higgins slowly stood from his seat. He looked as if he had aged many years since yesterday.

"May I have your attention?" Mr. Higgins tapped on his microphone, sending whispers of gossip through the room. The rumors about Kathryn's death had already started, and everybody knew Mr. Higgins was about to mention it. His posture was slumped, no longer the pulled together man from the first week of school. Now he was a nervous wreck.

"I heard he was going to mention the funeral at dinner, so I bet that's what he's going to do." My eyes widened when Greg said this. I had completely forgotten about the funeral. We had to go, we owed her that much. She saved my brother, and then most likely died because of that.

"I have a few announcements." Mr. Higgins awkwardly cleared his throat, and all eyes fell on him. "As most of you know, one of our counselors here passed away yesterday. Due to internal problems, Kathryn is no longer with us. I am very saddened by this, and I know many of you may be also. We have counseling available if needed, just talk to your counselor and they will set it up for you. Wendy is the new counselor that will be taking over Kathryn's cabin.

"The funeral is on Saturday. I encourage all of you to come and be supportive. I know that this is a difficult time, losing someone from the staff that has been here multiple years is troubling. I know many of you had seen her around campus in your own years here. Please try to stay strong and be there for one another. Thank you." Mr. Higgins glanced back at a table of staff and gave a slight nod of his head before sitting back down.

The dining hall broke out in chatter about everything related to Kathryn. I clearly couldn't escape the haunting memories of that night, no matter how hard I tried.

Now that Kathryn was dead, would anyone save us if something were to happen, or would we be left to die?

____________

Sorry this is sort of a short chapter and a filler =/ but the funeral is in the next chapter! Now you're porbably asking why I'm excited about a funeral, but you'll see... :D

So what do you think?

Kathryn's dead, their not safe, Mr. Grey's on the loose... poor kids.

Leaving tomorrow EARLY IN THE MORN. So I'll upload as soon as possible when I find internet, but no promises. Peace out guys!

xx

Ella

Comment, vote, fan<3