Part One ~ Chapter Twelve

“People always gained your trust just to break it.”

-Matt

------------

Chapter Twelve

It was like a pile of bricks was on top of me, piling higher and higher until I was entirely crushed by them. Why was everything so difficult? Amy and Julia were my best friends. I didn’t care if she was a virgin or not, if she had just been honest when she talked with us. Now, though, I didn’t know who to trust. If my best friend could lie to me, what would stop anyone else from doing the same?

            It hurt. It hurt like I never thought it could. I spent all of Tuesday using girls to try to pretend it didn’t happen, that Amy didn’t hurt me or Julia like that, but it was all a lie. The second I walked into class on Wednesday and say Mrs. Grey standing there, I felt like punching something. The lady ruined everything. Our friendship was important to me, and that woman had torn it apart using a tiny piece of paper. I couldn’t look at Amy at all, and I knew Julia was heartbroken. We both trusted her, and it was painful knowing that Amy couldn’t tell us the truth about something like that.

            “Stop all of your stalling and find a seat!” I sighed and took my seat, glaring at the ground. “Please, I only have a short amount of time to do my teaching!” Yeah, sure, teaching. Ruining our lives was more like it.

            “Hi, you  forgot your binder that you meant to bring.” Mr. Grey walked in, handing Mrs. Grey a blue binder. He stood around, glaring at us all-especially me and Ethan. Asshole, I so wasn’t in the mood.

            “Matt! I have an idea!”

            “For?” I sighed, rubbing my forehead.

            “Dad and Mom! There anniversary today! We have to do something!”

            “Oh?” I masked the hurt in my eyes when I saw Amy and quickly focused on my brother.

            “Yes! We do! When I talked to Mom on the phone yesterday she said Dad was taking her to a fancy restaurant and they were spending the night together. We can send them a box filled with fancy chocolates, because chocolate is the ultimate gift for anybody!”

            “Shut up!” Mr. Grey roared, and I snapped my head up. He was fuming next to Mrs. Grey, who had a similar expression mixed with discomfort on her face. Who knew anniversaries could be such a touchy subject?

            “Alright, I’m going to start my class. Bye dear!” Mrs. Grey tried to look cheery, but looked more like someone just killed her cat and. “Julia, why don’t you make another fire? I’m going to show you guys the wrong things to put in a fire today.”

            I watched as Julia sluggishly got up to create another fire that Mrs. Grey seemed so fond of. Julia had large bags under her eyes, and if I could find any emotion on her face it would be that she looked hurt. Amy looked torn, like she wanted to tell us something but also couldn’t. Well, I was fine with that. I didn’t want to talk to Amy again. People always gained your trust just to break it.

            “Here,” Julia chucked the matches at Mrs. Grey, who quickly caught them. She glowered at Julia, who ignored her.

            “You children are in quite a funk today. Get your head out of the gutter and pay attention! I am spending my time teaching you all information you should be listening to!” Mrs. Grey opened her binder, flipping through some pages until she came across the right one. She leaned over and picked up some pine needles. “Do you see these? I’m sure you recognize them, unless you are some idiot. Do not put them in your fire. Do not. They smoke. Along with these,” Mrs. Grey held up a pine cone. “And these.” She pointed to a bunch of leaves.