Part Three ~ Chapter Thirteen

“And the time would soon come when he would try to kill us.”

-Ethan

------------

I woke up in the morning to arguing. the voices were undoubtedly Amy and Andrew.

"Well I don't know what you're problem is!"

"My problem! You're the one with issues!"

"Why don't you just get lost!"

"I think I will."

"Fine."

"Fine!"

I looked out my tent to see Andrew storming off into the woods. Matt was outside too, and I heard him saying "he'll probably be back in time before we leave."

"I hope not," Amy grumbles, crossing her hands. I was sort of curious as to what happened, but I didn't want to ask Amy since it wasn't really my place to ask. But sure enough, I found out without even having to ask as Amy told Julia over breakfast. I wasn't deliberately trying to listen in or anything. Amy was just telling her story within earshot.

"It started this morning... We were both awake early and just decided to watch the sunrise. Things were fine at first, but I knew things weren't going to last. They never did with him."

Amy paused to take a bite of her breakfast before continuing.

"Randomly, he goes 'MB's really an idiot you know?' It was so out of the blue and when he said it it made me really angry. Who is he to judge MB? I was mad at MB before, but this trip has got me thinking... Why get hung up on these things?"

"So you like MB again?" Julia inquired.

Amy shrugged. "I dunno. But after that I said 'You don't know what you're talking about.' Then he called me a slut who was always going after boys... And how I screwed with the guy who ruined Matt's life. That was just too much. I don't know what got into him, but that was just too much."

Amy's voice was starting to get shaky.

"And then, well, you know what happened from there. He just walked off. Hope he gets lost and doesn't come back."

"You don't mean that," Julia said.

“Hell yes I do.”

***

Sure enough, Andrew came back right as we were about to leave. There was nothing much to pack, we sort of just left the tents there and grabbed our backpacks. When the teachers said we could all go, we started off. As usual, Kyle had the map and compass in hand and was leading the way. The walk was even more awkward because of the feud between Amy and Andrew. It had never been like this.

"I thought we had some sort of mutual agreement that we wouldn't fight for a day," Amy spat at Andrew.

"Well I guess the feeling isn't mutual," he retorted.

After that, they both turned their backs on each other and stayed at different lengths in the line. I went up to the front of the line and started talking to Johnny and Kyle.

“You don’t really think we can win, do you?”

Kyle shrugged. “It would be fun, don’t you think! A luxurious hotel, getting out of school, ahh I can just imagine it all now.”

“It would be quite nice,” Johnny agreed. “Especially if they had a pool. And food, definitely good food.” He smiled just at the thought of winning. I have to admit, winning did sound quite nice. After spending so much time living off the woods, some time in luxury would be nice.