Part Three ~ Chapter Six

“He had every right to be worried.”

-Ethan

------------

            I felt a slight onset of nausea as a wave of memories came flooding back to me. Breaking into Mr. Higgins’ office, stealing a key, risking my life and almost getting shot by Mr. Grey for Kathryn’s letter. He wanted a key… A key we thought was so insignificant and placed it right into his hands. I should have known that Mr. Grey was a lot smarter than made out to me.

            “No, it can’t be,” I sighed, trying to put all of this to logic. “We gave him the key to cabin 203. This is cabin 302. So it’s merely just a… coincidence that it’s the flipped number…”

            “Coincidences don’t happen!” Kyle stated. “Something fishy is going on here. He wanted that key for a reason. I don’t know where cabin 203 is, but I do know we are staying in cabin 302 and these things could very well be connected.”

            “These numbers are giving me a headache,” Johnny groaned, placing his hands on his head. “Can we just go in and lie down? It’s been a long day.”

            “No!” Matt abruptly stood in front of the door. I rolled my eyes at my protective brother, even though this time I didn’t blame him for his caution. He had every right to be worried. “Nobody is going in there until I say so. It’s not safe.”

            I knew what he was trying to say is ‘what if Mr. Grey is standing inside with his gun, just waiting for us to come in and shoot us all?’ Because essentially we would literally be placing everything into his hands, so easily. He would barely have to lift a finger. Well, except for that one moment when he pulled the trigger that is.

            Though I knew my brother was a tad on the over-protective side, okay maybe more than just a tad, what I did not expect was for him to pull out the gun from his backpack.

            “Matt-!” Amy protested, but Matt just shushed her, and she clamped her mouth shut. I think she was scared of the gun in his hand. Heck, we were all scared. Julia seemed the most traumatized by the whole thing, though.

            “Trust me on this guys,” Matt sighed. He edged closer to the cabin, gun by his side. My brother has never shot a gun before. That gun would do him no help whatsoever in the case that Mr. Grey was in fact in that cabin.

            My brother poked the wooden door, but it didn’t open. Locked. Well, that was actually a good sign. Matt got the key and twisted the door open, jumping inside with his gun at the ready. But there was nobody inside. All that was there was a dark and empty cabin, the creaking of the door echoing in the silence.

            “Well, I guess we can rest now, right guys?” Johnny gave a slight laugh and went straight to one of the beds, where he flopped down on his back. The rest of us were still silent, still caught up in the fear of the moment.

            “See,” I muttered. “Coincidence. This is cabin 302. Not 203. There’s nothing to be afraid of.” I’m not sure who I was trying to convince more, myself or the others.

            “Knock on wood,” Andrew replied back.

            “Guys, here,” Julia was the last through the door, gasping for air as she brought in the bag of supplies that we had forgotten outside amid all the drama. “What?” she asked when we all gave her looks. “The bag was really heavy.”

            “Should we see what’s inside?” Matt suggested. We all nodded, and he effortlessly lifted the bag onto a bed and started to un-zipper it. Inside it was nothing that I hadn’t expected. “Hot dogs and buns for dinner I guess,” Matt nodded approvingly. “Oh, and look.” He held up a bag of marshmallows.