Part One ~ Chapter Seventeen

“Lie down. Except defeat. It would be so easy.”

–Ethan

------------

Chapter Seventeen

Horror crossed over my face as Mr. Grey held the knife to my heart. In one second all of the pain would be over. He would plunge the knife into my heart, and I'd be dead. There was nothing I could do, no way to turn this situation around.

The only thing that could save me was an angel. And I didn't see that one happening anytime soon.

"Any last words?" Mr. Grey gave me a Cheshire Cat smile.

"Yes. I'm glad you're not my father," I spat.

Mr. Grey's green eyes flashed in anger. "Why you-" He raised the knife as if he was about to bring it down on me. But something came out of the dark and knocked him to the ground.

Mr. Grey fell to the ground, unconscious. The figure that had knocked him out shook their hand from the punch they'd delivered to my teacher's face. I then saw as the figure pulled out a needle and injected it into Mr. Grey's arm.

At first I thought it was Matt, coming to save me. Until I saw that the figure was way too tall to be him. And they had more of a feminine figure.

"Are you okay?" The figure turned to me, I still couldn't see who it was in the darkness. But it was definitely the voice of a female.

I nodded, crying. However, this time the relief was from the tears that it was all over, and I hadn’t been killed.

"I'm sorry," the figure shook her head, wiping a tear off my cheek with her thumb. "I was caught off guard..."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

The figure sighed. "I can't tell you, it's not safe. But you should know, there is more involved to this than you can ever understand."

I wanted to ask what was going on, what she meant, but no words seemed to be able to come out my mouth.

"I must go," she whispered. "I cannot take you with me, but Mr. Grey will be out for a couple hours. I have given him a sleeping drug. Be safe."

"But-" I protested, not wanting my savior to leave me.

"And do me a favor? Don't try and solve this, don't try and figure out what's happened. I can't have you getting hurt."

And then the figure was gone.

What did she mean I couldn't try and solve this? I already knew about how Mr. Grey loved my mother, but was there more?

I sat, hugging my knees close to my face, in the dirt next to an unconscious Mr. Grey. At the moment I had no idea what I was going to do when he woke up, but my head was to clouded to think. All I could do was hope that maybe someone would find me, not a mysterious figure who couldn’t tell me what was going on or take me with her. Though I was thankful that she had knocked out Mr. Grey, I was still here in the middle of the woods in danger. Who knew what time it even was?

Why couldn’t I be smart like Kyle? He would know what to do and how to get out of this situation. He’d probably have some sort of compass so I could figure out just exactly where I was and navigate my way back to school. Sadly, I wasn’t born with Kyle’s smarts or did I have a compass on hand. So it seemed like I was out of luck.

“Matt,” I whispered, even though I knew he wasn’t there. I don’t know why I said his name, as if talking to thin air would help. “If you were here right now… Well, I wouldn’t want you to see me like this. See?” I laughed bitterly. “I’m surviving here on my own. Though it would be nice if you were here, like the protective big brother you are. Even though it bugs me most of the time, now would be a great time for you to come and save me.”