Part Three ~ Chapter Twenty-Two

“Things had been fine on the mountain when Mr. Grey had been chasing after us, but that was because we were in a near-death situation “

-Amy

----------

Being on that mountain and away from reality for a few days had helped me come to grip with my life. I had realized more about what was important to me and what I should really be thankful for. There were people in life who I just took for granted, always thought they’d be there. There were things I never thought to question, things I didn’t think I’d care about.

            My brother.

            What if it had been him on that bridge, him who Mr. Grey had chosen to try and kill? I realized that Johnny probably wouldn’t have realized the rope had been frayed, I could have easily lost my brother forever.

            Food. Shelter. Warm clothing.

            That was all self-explanatory.

            And then there was MB.

            I had come to the reality that I was just being plain and outright stupid. I was judging MB for a stupid mistake, he was trying to help my brother because he thought I would appreciate it. He was doing it with good intentions. And I was blaming him for that.

            It was the day after we had gotten back from the trip, a Sunday, and I went off in search of MB. I first looked in the dining hall, but there were only a few people in there. I started the long walk to the archery fields, figuring that’s where he would be as usual.

            During my long and casual walk, my mind wandered to other things. What was to happen in math class tomorrow, since Mr. Grey was… Dead. Was it really too good to be true? Could everything just suddenly be over? My mind just still couldn’t grasp that mind-boggling concept. It was just too much to decipher.

            It was all over. Done. No more fear.

            It was hard to imagine life without fear now, after having lived with it for so long. No more fear that if I turned around, a man would be standing behind me with a knife to my throat. No more fear that anyone I became friends with was in danger.

            No. More. Fear.

            It was a weird thought.

            As I arrived at the archery fields, my eyes did a quick scan, and I couldn’t find MB. I was immediately discouraged, because I felt like I knew MB would surely be here. He was always here. I turned around in dismay, hoping to find him later.

            On my way back down the path, I met up with Andrew and Matt heading down to the docks. “Wanna come boating with us?” Matt asked.

            “Sure,” I shrugged, considering I had nothing better to be doing. I had no homework because of the trip and wandering around trying to MB was proving to be depressing and thought provoking. The last thing I needed was my brain clouded and overtaken with too many thoughts.

            “We’re taking single kayaks,” Andrew said, with no particular emotion in his voice. I didn’t know where I stood with him either. We’d had our moments on the mountain, sweet ones but definitely the rough ones… I still got butterflies in my stomach when I thought of our near kiss, but then anger fills me inside when I thought of his judgmental comments towards MB and I.

            “Amy?” Matt waved a hand in front of my face.

            “Hmm? Oh sorry.”