Part Two ~ Chapter Five

"Life was so complicated..."

-Ethan

------------

ETHAN:

Johnny had wrapped a towel around me, and I was sitting on my bed shivering. He and Kyle thought it was from the cold, but for me it was more like fear. I don't know why I was terrified to find out that Kathryn was the one who had saved me, but I was. But now what I really needed to do was thank her, because if she hadn't been there... Who knows what Mr. Grey would have done. I think I owe Kathryn a lifetime of favors for that.

But wait- what had she been doing in the woods?

My mind was hurting too much to think about all those questions and minor details, I had to tell Johnny and Kyle what I'd found out. But I didn't know what their reaction would be, or if maybe Matt should be the first one to tell.

"Now are you going to explain?" Johnny gave me a look.

I guess Matt would wait. My friends had stuck by my side all this time, while Matt had been pestering me every single day.T

"Is Charlie here?" I whispered, look around. I did not need my roommate overhearing any of this information.

"Nah, he's out somewhere," Johnny shrugged. "Now spill."

I sucked in a deep breath before letting out some air.

"Dude, you're acting as if you're signing the Declaration of Independence!"

I gave Kyle a weird look.

"In other words, tell us already!"

"Right, right," I shook my head. Wind rattled our door as I opened my mouth. "I figured out who saved me that night."

"Seriously?!" Johnny exclaimed, his face in pure shock.

"Ethan, this is big!" Kyle jumped up in excitement. Whoever it is might know more information on Mr. Grey than we know! This might be a big help."

I nodded, trying to tune out their loud voices that were making my head hurt even more. A shriek filled the air, making me sit up on my bed with a startled jump.

"The wind," Kyle chuckled, waving his hand aside. "Now can you tell us who this mystery person is?"

"You're going to be surprised," I muttered, tracing a pattern on my bedsheet.

"The anticipation is killing me! Just tell me..." Johnny looked up at me with eager eyes, literally bouncing alongside with Kyle.

"Kathryn," I blurted out so fast so I couldn't stop myself. "It was Kathryn."

A stunned silence filled the room; all that could be heard was the gust of wind tearing up the place outside. Yeah, that's what I thought.

"Are you sure?" Johnny seemed to give me a look of doubt.

"Positive." I bit my lip. "Johnny, her voice had been haunting my mind for the past days. I can't forget the voice of the one who saved my life at the time when I was on the edge of death."

I didn't mean for that to come out as morbid as it did... But yet it sounded real scary, giving me a chill of realization on what had happened not so long ago. And yet, we couldn't even tell adults for their safety and my mom's sanity. Life was so complicated...