Part One ~ Chapter Nineteen

“Throughout the lesson I would squeeze Ethan's hand, reassuring myself that he was alright.”
–Matt

------------

Chapter Nineteen

School. Sure, I always thought it was bad, but now there were just no words to how preposterous the whole thing was. Going back to the place we met our kidnapper literally the same day he kidnapped us. Trudging around the cabin I showered and pulled on some clothes, not entirely caring about anything at the moment. Andrew hadn’t spoken more than three words since we woke up, and it seemed like he was closing us all off. I was nervous for Ethan. He scared me when he wouldn’t do anything, he was completely shut down. I didn’t know about anyone else, but my main focus had shifted from having a great time to keeping everyone safe.

“Hello everyone! I missed you all greatly, and it was such a shame I had to be absent! Such a shame…” Mr. Ehway trailed off and took in our solemn faces. “Either you all missed me a lot more than I thought you would, or you hate that I’m back. Now, what did the substitute make you do?” I gulped and watched Amy subconsciously run a hand over her injured arm. I was seated next to my brother, watching him closely as he examined the ground.

“We learned about some fire stuff.” Kyle was the first to speak up and I was grateful. I couldn’t picture anyone else opening their mouths. Julia was zoning out again, sighing and kicking around rocks. Johnny was clinging to Amy, not as closely as I was to Ethan, but still.

"Fire? Fire! Alright, each of you show me how you make a fire." Julia, of course, made hers easily. Mr. Ehway was carefully judging our fires, grading us on it. Ethan, Kyle, and Johnny were not allowed to make their own fire. It was nice to know Mr. Ehway was at least trying to be safe, unlike certain teachers who strongly encouraged violence.

Throughout the lesson I would squeeze Ethan's hand, reassuring myself that he was alright. When it was time for math, Ethan's hand turned cold in mine. Johnny and Kyle reached over and awkwardly patted his shoulder. I held Ethan close to me and watched the front for Mr. Grey to show up. I was scared he would come, but I was also afraid of what it meant if he didn't.

He didn't show up. Instead of Mr. Grey, Ms. Stinston was the one trying to teach us math that day. By the looks of things you could tell she should never sub for math again. She had no clue what was going on, and was more focused on health stuff.

"Are you children getting the proper amount of sleep," she questioned. "because you all look very stressed. We should talk about these negative stressers. Who would like to share one of theirs? I'm sure you each have many different ones, so let's just go around the classroom. You first," she pointed to Johnny. "And please share your name also."

"I'm Johnny, and schoolwork stresses me out in a negative way. Maybe we should cut all homework out so that it doesn't cause me stress."

"School can become a big part of your life. You need to find the perfect balance in managing your time, Johnny. Next would be you." Kyle straightened in his seat, looking thoughtful. He opened up his mouth to speak and I wondered what he would say.

"The other night I was using my telescope to gaze at the stars and find the constellations. Unfortunately it broke and so now I am upset." I wondered if there was any truth behind what he said. Kyle was the one who found us, and a part of me felt like I had to watch over him for that. Even though I barely knew him, he had weaved his way into my heart.

"Oh no! That's awful! Do you make a hobby out of this astronomy stuff?" Kyle nodded and Ms. Stinston shouted in glee. "Stars are so beautiful, aren't they?"

"Of course," Kyle nodded and smirked slightly. "Every star has a different story to tell, and it's just breathtaking!" Okay, so I guess Kyle knew about Ms. Stinston. She was an odd lady, and that's putting it in a nice way.