Part Three ~ Chapter Eighteen

“I figured he should come back, he was a smart kid and usually had his reasons for things. Usually.”

-Ethan

------------

            “A smoke signal? Really?” I asked Kyle once we were all sitting there in silence.

            He shrugged. “We didn’t have much time, and it was the best that I could come up with on the spot.”

            “Won’t that attract, like, Mr. Grey?” Amy asked.

            Kyle shrugged again. “Priorities I guess. Would we rather have to face him alone, or all together? He’s coming one way or another.”

            Andrew sighed. “Okay, we get your point Kyle. We don’t have any other options right now, so let’s just try and rest until the morning. We’ll make our smoke signal then, when it can be seen.”

            “Sleep, right,” Amy smirked. “Like that’s possible.”

            I agreed. Rest seemed impossible at the moment. I was really on edge, the thoughts of Mr. Grey lurking in my mind. Amy was right; he was making his way into our every thought. Flashbacks from the night of the kidnapping flew through my mind. The feelings of lost hope, the fact that I knew I was going to die for sure, they came back piercing through my heart like the very knife Mr. Grey held.

            “Ethan?”

            “I’m fine,” I told Kyle. I was doing it again, that spacey thing.

            “I don’t feel so comfortable being this close to the bridge,” Andrew spoke up, and all of our eyes turned towards the rope bridge. I could literally feel the emptiness that seemed to lie under it. I didn’t know how far down the drop was, but it didn’t seem too pretty.

            “Let’s move away a bit,” I suggested. We all got up and made our way farther into the woods, with the bridge still in our sight.

            “Imagine falling…” Amy whispered.

            “Don’t think like that,” Andrew replied almost immediately. They exchanged a look that I couldn’t read. Not that I tried, those two were just too exhausting to even try to understand at some times.

            Suddenly, a gust of wind blew by, making me shiver. Another flash of lightning lit up the sky, followed by thunder. I groaned, having thought the other flash of lightning had gone away and there wasn’t an oncoming storm.

            Sadly, our luck didn’t seem to bright today.

            Slowly, drops of rain started to slowly fall from the sky. It was very light, not enough to soak up, but enough to be really annoying. More lightning lit up the sky, followed by more thunder that was even louder this time. To me it seemed like the whole mountain was shaking in fear.

            “This doesn’t look like it’s going to get better,” Kyle grumbled.

            “Fu- udge…” Amy corrected herself. “What now? It’s going to be impossible to sleep in the rain.” By now it was impossible to see people’s faces, because the clouds had covered the moon, and I was only catching glimpses by the flashes of lightning.

            I started to shiver as the rain made me colder, my hair starting to grow damp from the water. Andrew saw that I was cold and he opened his backpack to see what he could find.