Chapter Sixty-Nine

*Tyler's POV*

Smut warning yet again I'm sure you can guess where it starts after last chapter but whatever I'll put a warning in there for ya

It was probably selfish to be as anxious as I was during those last few seconds before he finally blurted his big confession. It was obviously something huge to him, something that was taking everything in him to admit, he should be the nervous one, not me. That didn't make my heart stop racing though, or the lump from forming in my throat, or my palms from sweating. Actually, the only thing that did stop all of that, was when I snapped my hand forward to grab his, almost as if on instinct.

I wasn't sure if the moment really called for hand-holding, considering it really depended on what he was about to say, but I couldn't help it. He seemed to take it as a comforting gesture for him, but really I was just trying to put my own heart at ease.

He tightened his grip back, both of us breathing heavily and unevenly as we waited for him to regain his voice. As much as I wanted to be able to say I had no problem waiting and could last forever if he needed it, that'd be a lie. Every second felt like an eternity, each one more painful as the last as I continued to stress over every possible outcome of the situation. It must be something bad, something horrible, for him to take this long. And the worst part is, I don't know if my rational mind or my feelings for him would triumph if it actually is.

"I can read minds." He whispered, his voice carrying shakily. I blinked, completely unresponsive as the sentence repeated itself in my head. He's joking, he has to be. Why would he make such a big deal over a prank? Is this getting me back for all of my teasing? "Not very well, it's not really something I can control. Sometimes it happens just by standing by someone, normally I have to be touching them. It's faulty and never guaranteed to work, but it does happen often."

"Read... minds?" I questioned, still so confused I could barely get the words out. They sounded weird and foreign, definitely not how I'd expected this next part of the conversation to go. He didn't reply to me, leaving me to just sit there considering his words. Is he actually serious? No, this has to be a joke. People don't read minds. Maybe he's expecting me to laugh? It shouldn't hurt to try. 

I forced a laugh out of me, though it sounded far from entertained. His head was still buried in his hands, but I could feel his body noticeably tense at the sound.

"I'm serious. It's not funny." He snapped, a physical ache forming in my chest at the pained way he said the words. Why is he taking this so seriously? It's a joke, he doesn't have to make me feel so shitty about it. It is a joke, right? He definitely doesn't look like he's joking. Does he want me to believe this? Experimentally, I decided to say the words out loud.

"You read minds. You read minds when you touch people." I whispered, picking apart the sentence and repeating it in my mind. I couldn't tell if I was shocked or amused, on the fence about whether to believe him or not. I think he wants me to, even if it's just to rub it in my face when he actually does reveal it's a prank. Because he has to, it has to be a prank.

However, I decided to put that debate on hold for a bit when I noticed he was sniffling next to me, my need to comfort him coming before the entire ordeal. Like I said, I don't think there's a single thing he could have admitted to that oculd have turned me away from him, as unhealthy as that is.

"Hey, don't cry. I'm sorry, it's just not something you'd ever expect." I apologized, the ache only intensifying when I watched him flinch away from me at the sound of my voice. Is he that scared of my reaction or that good of an actor?

"You don't believe me." He whispered, sounding almost defeated as he slipped his hand out of mine. I had to fight the urge to grab it again, reminding myself he probably didn't want the embrace if he was the one to end it. Still, I wanted it, didn't that mean anything?