Chapter Fourteen

*Troye's POV*

This drive was silent as well, but not like before when we just didn't have anything to talk about. If I had it my way we would actually be conversing, which was weird considering he was the socialite and I was the introvert. I actually tried to spark up a conversation, regarding his music tastes, but he just shushed me. At first I was a bit angry, before realizing he was just using all his energy to concentrate on driving. So really he was still looking out for me in a sense, making sure not to cause my car damage. So now I was sitting quietly in my seat, twiddling my thumbs awkwardly as I waited patiently for him to reach our destination. Well, 'patiently' might not have been the most fitting word considering I was practically dying of boredom. Normally I had the distraction of driving to keep me busy in the car, but obviously that wasn't the case right now. I hadn't been driven around since I'd just turned sixteen, it definitely felt strange to have the freedom to look away from the road while in a car. Strange, but also insanely boring. I'd been debating turning on the radio forever now, eyeing Tyler warily and trying to gauge what his reaction would be. He'd shot down conversation pretty quick but surely he could put up with a little bit of music. 

"Troye, stop fidgeting around, it's distracting." He scolded, his eyes flickering to me for a fraction of a second. I blushed, running my hand through my hair. I hadn't even realized it, but I probably had been shifting about a lot. I tended to do that a lot when I was bored, ADHD or something. I took a deep breath, leaning forward quickly to flick on the radio. I straightened back up immediately, not wanting to bother him any further. I leaned back in the seat for a moment, before I recognized the song as some sappy overplayed romance song. I wasted no time switching the station, scoffing barely audibly under my breath. There were way too many songs about love. Wasn't there anything else in the world interesting enough to write songs about? I jumped suddenly, my eyebrows shooting up when I heard Tyler giggling all of the sudden.

"What?" 

"Nothing, you just act like such a cynical old man all the time, it's funny." He chuckled, the corner of his lips turning up into what I could only assume was a signature smirk of his. I'd seen him use it many times just since we started talking, so it must be a regular thing of his. Not that I was complaining, it definitely suited him. 

"Better than acting like a bubbly little five year old all the time." I replied casually, cursing myself for getting so excited over what his response would be. I just really liked bickering him. He always had the perfect responses or one-liners, managing to constantly keep me on my feet. 

"Is not!" I guess he was too concentrated for a better response right now, but I was still bickering with him so I went with it, responding equally as childishly. 

"Is too!"

"Is not!"

"Is t- Hey! Is that the beach?" I shouted suddenly, eagerly pressing my face up against the window, despite knowing the smudges I left would only irritate me like mad later. Whatever, I could wash the windows. The beach was bare aside from a few stray seagulls picking around, which only made it better. I hated crowded beaches. I wasn't sure who would really come to a beach on such an overcast day, but still, it was relieving to actually see it completely empty. 

"Wow, Sherlock, what gave it away? The sand or the vast majority of water?" Tyler teased, expertly parking the car. I didn't reply, instead waiting to see what his follow-up would be. Once the car was turned off he turned to face me, an unreadable expression on his face. 

"What?" I whispered, my voice small and tentative as I nervously tried to decipher what he was thinking. Had I done something wrong? Was he mad? 

"I'll race you to the waterfront!" He shouted suddenly, causing my ears to ring. And just like that he'd unbuckled his seat belt and jolted out the door.