Chapter Fourty-Four

*Tyler's POV*

Troye seemed almost embarrassed of his family every time we interacted, which I guess I could understand. I would disown Mama Jackie if she were to act the way they did. But at the same time, I didn't actually care when his family did. It wasn't annoying, it was entertaining if anything. Besides, watching Troye continuously get all worked up and flustered over their words was definitely something I could get used to. Everything from his siblings with their faces pressed against the window, to his mother being so welcoming and chatty, to the muttered sexual innuendos Sage seemed to have a never ending supply of, they were the perfect family. Well, perfect granted you weren't stuck being around them all the time. I could definitely see how it'd get old after awhile.

I wasn't surprised when Troye jumped at the chance to take me up to his room, though I did wish it was for different reasons than just avoiding chores and annoying siblings. I couldn't really complain though, especially not when he was the one to make the move to sling his arm around my shoulders. It was only for the short walk between the kitchen and the foot of the stairs, but it still meant something. Slowly but surely he was coming more and more out of his shell, and I couldn't wait for the time to come when he wouldn't hesitate at all to make moves like that. I wasn't sure if he meant it casually or if he realized what it did to me, but either way I was happy he'd done it. He'd come a long way from how nervous he'd been about touching me at first. 

Once we reached his room I didn't even think before throwing myself onto his bed, only after my chest hit the mattress did I realize how awkward that probably was. It's not like he'd invited me to just make myself at home, and it was only my second time here. Not to mention that he was definitely going to over think where he sat now, like he always did over absolutely anything. He spent way too much time just thinking, rather than actually doing things. Whereas I was the opposite, doing things without giving them a second's thought. What a great pair we made, huh?

It didn't take long for me to reach a point where I couldn't stand the awkward tension as he silently debated where to sit, instead just rolling over and inviting him to join me. I relished in how deep his cheeks flushed, unsure of whether it was because I'd called him pretty or because of the fact we were both going to be sitting on his bed. I couldn't help the giggles slipping past my lips as he awkwardly dragged his feet along behind him, his hands stuffed in his pockets and the blush on his cheeks not fading a bit. He sat 0n the very edge of the bed, his muscles stiff and his arms clasped tightly to his sides. 

"What are you laughing at?" He asked suddenly, only casting me a sideways glance instead of actually looking up. I didn't mind though, realizing it was probably his best effort to hide how badly he was blushing. I decided to just be honest with him, sitting up and not even hesitating before awkwardly ambling down the bed toward him. Why did he have to have such a floofy mattress? I probably looked like a total idiot, tripping over my own knees. Then again, it didn't look like he was playing much attention. I didn't stop until I was sitting right beside him, by knees pressed against his leg. I shoved him then, giggling more as I replied.

"You." After that we fell into one of our familiar lighthearted bickering matches, though after just a few replies I began to notice he wasn't laughing nearly as much as he usually would be. Did he actually have a problem with me mentioning how awkward he was? I mean, it seemed stupid he'd be insecure about something like that, especially when he knew how little I cared about it, but then again, I was the one getting worked up when he mentioned my eating habits. What if I was unintentionally hurting his feelings?

"Gee, thanks Tyler, makes me feel real good about myself-" I couldn't even wait for him to finish his reply with my new-found realization, panicking that I might have actually offended him. That was the last thing I ever wanted to do.