Chapter Fifty-Two

*Tyler's POV*

"You look fine, you're already late, Ty." My mother chastised my from the bathroom doorway, leaning all of her weight onto one hip and staring at me expectantly. I just waved her off though, still not completely content with my outfit choice. It was cute, it was just... missing something. 

I picked up the bow-tie I'd been debating off and on all night, raising it up to my collar to study it in the mirror. It's not like I hadn't seen what it looked like a hundred times now though, considering I'd meant it quite literally when I said 'off and on'. I'd tried the damn thing on at least twenty times, torn between whether it was too formal for a birthday party or not. The outfit looked much better with it, but I didn't want to get there and have people tease me about it.

I'd texted Troye four times now asking for his opinion, one of which had photos of the before and after with the bow-tie. I'd yet to get a reply though, despite the fact he always had his phone on him and I'd sent the first one nearly half an hour ago now. It was bothering me to the point I was on the verge of sending him shirtless selfies or dick pics or something just to see if he'd react. Okay, that would probably be a bit over the top, I'm being needy. There's thousands of reasons he could not be answering my texts. He might have forgotten it at home (ha), Marcus's dog could have peed on it, he could have gotten so drunk at the party already he dropped it into the toilet. Who knows really.

As if on cue my phone went off on the counter, my eyes going wide as I lurched forward and clicked the answer call button.

"Hello?" I purred, biting my lip in anticipation of hearing his voice. I was also looking forward to his explanation to, eager to see which of my guesses had been the closest to the truth.

"Hey, Ty, it's Marcus. Where are you? The party started nearly ten minutes ago." I tried really hard not to physically exclaim my disappointment, I really did, but a tiny sigh slipped past my lips anyway. I snapped my jaw shut then, terrified he'd call me out on it, but when I heard him talking to someone in the background I realized he hadn't even been paying attention to me. 

He cleared his throat when he returned to the phone, something that had become a universal signal over the years of talking on the phone. I picked up exactly where we left, something I'd learned to do with time as well.

"I know, but the traffic is simply unbearable today, Buttbutt." I droned, purposely oozing dramaticness into my voice. I could practically see his eye-roll in reaction.

"You live two minutes up the road." He stated blandly, clearly not nearly as entertained by my sarcasm as I'd hoped. It's not like I could tell him the real reason I was late, picking apart every single aspect of my appearance in hopes of impressing Troye. Sure, I saw him all the time, but not at formal events. Or in this case, mildly-formal events.

"I'll be there in a few, I promise." I replied finally, keeping my tone completely serious so he believed me.

"Okay, b-"

"Hey, is Troye there yet?" I cut him off, knowing he'd been on the verge of hanging up. I hadn't really even thought-through my interruption, knowing how clingy the question probably sounded to him. What was with me lately? Ever since the sleepover I can't seem to keep myself away from him. I mean, yeah, it was like that before, but not like this, to the point I felt a physical aching in my chest when we weren't together.

"Yeah, he's been here for like half an hour. He carpooled with Shane and they helped me set some stuff up before the other guests got here."

"Oh." I replied weakly, not really concentrating on the conversation itself as my thoughts veered off course. Why didn't Troye tell me he was getting a drive with Shane? A couple of days ago when I asked if he wanted to drive with me he just said he trusted his car more than mine, he hadn't mentioned Shane at all. Why would he choose to drive with him over me?