Chapter Eighteen

*Tyler's POV*

I'd taken forever to fall asleep after that phone call with Troye. It had been going pretty smooth up until the last couple seconds. I'd even somehow managed to get through my mother yelling in the background 'are you on the phone with that cute boy we were talking about?' without things getting awkward. He told me he didn't hear her, but I wasn't sure if I believed him. She was pretty loud, I had to inherit it from somewhere. I'd fallen asleep on the phone for a couple seconds after that, and that's when I knew it was time to end the phone call. As much as I didn't want to, I also didn't want him listening in on me if I started to snore or something weird like sleep talk. Who knows what kind of crazy things I'd say. My mother had caught me doing it a couple times and I never heard the end of her teasing over it, I definitely didn't want him to find out I did.

"Sorry, Troye, I really should head to bed. I'll talk to you tomorrow sometime." 

"Uh, yeah, that's fine. Goodnight, Tyler." I smiled warmly, loving the way my name sounded in his satiny voice. My eyes started to fall shut again and I let out a content sigh, knowing I had to come up with some kind of response soon before I fell back asleep.

"Night, babe." Sleep was suddenly the last thing on my mind as my eyes snapped open, my heart racing in my chest. Fuck, fuck, fuck, had I really just said that? It just felt so natural and fuck. I clenched my jaw, scrambling and ending the call. I didn't want to hear his response, because surely he was going to be weirded out. 

I spent the next hour and a half rolling around and trying desperately to fall asleep, my mind plagued with all the different reactions Troye could have had. It was his own fault for calling me so late, what did he expect? Maybe that's what he'd do, dismiss it as something stupid I said because I was overtired. Let's hope. 

The stupid conversation was still on my mind most of the day at school. I wanted to see him, to see what he was like around me and that nothing had changed between us, but it was like he was hiding. At first I thought it was from me, before remembering what exactly had happened yesterday at school. Of course he was hiding! I suddenly felt extremely worried for him, glancing toward the clock impatiently. Lunch started in fifteen minutes, but even that seemed like too long. Honestly I'd cut class right now and leave to go hunt him down, except that was hardly logical considering he was in class as well. So I was stuck watching the clock and completely ignoring everything my teacher said. I was actually tapping my foot against the floor anxiously when the bell finally rang. I leapt out of my seat, slinging my bag over my shoulder and rushing out of the room before I could even hear what was assigned for homework. I'd get Marcus to tell me later. Right now, I just wanted to find Troye, preferably before I ran into anyone else.

I checked the bathroom and the hall his locker was in before realizing I could just text him. I stopped in the middle of the hallway, ignoring the people buzzing around me. I'd opened the text and was in the middle of typing it in when I felt a hand clap me on the back. I gasped, scrambling to get a better hold on my phone. Once I had I turned around quickly, glaring harshly at Marcus.

"What? Were you texting anyone important?" He wiggled his eyebrows, trying to snatch my phone from me. Luckily, I'd had a lot of practice in the art of hiding what was on my phone screen, so I effortlessly clutched it to my chest and glared at him.

"None of your business."

"Whatever, let's just go eat." He mumbled, obviously still a little annoyed that I wouldn't let him in on my conversation. I sighed, walking behind him with my eyes still fixed on my phone screen. I was more cautious now though, keeping it close to my chest as I tried to decide what to send to Troye. I didn't want to say anything too forward in case he was still creeped out over the 'babe' thing, but I did want to talk to him. I was so entranced in my phone I didn't even realize Marcus had stopped walking until I crashed into him. I grumbled quietly to myself as I fixed my glasses, pushing them up on my nose instinctively. I didn't even bother to look up, automatically assuming he'd stopped in the line for food and that was it. I started to type out my text to Troye, trying to keep it casual while still making it clear I genuinely did care that I got to talk to him.