Chapter Sixteen

*Troye's POV* 

I watched him rev out of the parking lot ahead of me, rolling my eyes at his competitive nature. Normally I might have made a big deal and raced after him in an effort to show him who's boss, but not right now. All I could do was sit there and replay those last few seconds before he got out of the car.

He'd been reaching for the door and all I could think about was how badly I wanted to keep him from leaving. I hadn't felt this at home with someone in ages, and I couldn't help but worry that it might not happen ever again. What if something happened between now and the weekend and things got awkward between us? Or worse, he just outright said he didn't want to hangout with me? It was desperate and needy, but I wanted more time with him, even if it was only for a few seconds. I reached out carelessly, gripping his bicep. 

Doesn't he realize how hard it is for me to leave as it is? The last thing I need is another excuse to stall for time.

I blush, my stomach doing flip-flops at his thoughts. He didn't want to leave either. That was definitely reassuring to me, making it a lot easier to see him go. If he was even half as invested as me then I knew he'd still want to hang-out with me when Saturday rolled around. 

"Yes?" He asked, his lips turning up into a smile the second he looked over his shoulder at me. I blinked, realizing I still hadn't really thought out what I was going to say to him. 

"I, uh, I just wanted to say I had a lot of fun today. And I just wanted to say thanks, I guess." I mumbled quietly, my heart racing. Wow, now he's definitely going to think I'm some clingy weirdo. I slowly let my hand slip off his arm as he started to look lost, looking at me with a blank expression. I was too worried to actually concentrate on what exactly he was staring at until his eyes flickered up to mine a minute later.

"Thank-you, Troye Sivan, this is the best day I've had in a long time." He said adoringly, making my heart flutter in a way completely foreign to me. I ignored it though, shoving any of those confusing thoughts to the back of my mind and focusing solely on what I did understand of my emotions, which was basically that I was extremely extremely happy. I felt my face breaking out into a huge lopsided grin at his heartfelt words, surprised how emotional I'd gotten over one measly sentence. I guess it wasn't so much the words, but the way he said it. The way his eyes sparkled and the very corner of his lips had quirked up in a little half-smile. Every single one of his features had screamed that he was genuine. He had meant every single word and he'd never truly understand how much that meant to me.

I snapped back to the present, starting the car and stomping on the gas in hopes of catching up to Tyler. It wouldn't be hard with my car versus his, but he had gotten quite the head start while I sat there looking lost in a daze. 

I parked my car in the garage like usual, though for once I didn't hurry inside. I wasn't exactly looking forward to the questions I knew I was about to be bombarded with. The last time I'd stayed out after school unannounced was... Well, never. I'd never skipped class either. They were definitely going to give me some kind of annoying lecture and quiz me on how I'd spent the day. I wasn't sure why, but I really didn't feel like telling them. Not yet anyway. I kind of wanted the whole Tyler thing to myself, to get used to the idea of being friends with him on my own before having people squeal over it and bug me. I knew that was too much to ask for though, they were going to demand answers and I was too exhausted to come up with any sort of lie. 

I forced myself out of the car eventually, swinging my backpack over my shoulder and locking the car. I had nothing left to stall me now so I started toward the door with a scowl on my face. Maybe if I acted really unapproachable they'd leave me alone. That hope flew out the window the second I walked out of the garage and noticed the curious faces pressed up against the window. Sage and Tyde both had wide eyes, watching me as I approached the front door. I gave them the finger, enjoying the way they immediately disappeared like they were trying to be sneaky this whole time. I smiled to myself, knowing they meant well, even if their overly-clingy nature got on my nerves sometimes. I opened the door casually, trying to act completely natural as I walked into the entryway. I was a little surprised to find it empty and no one waiting for me, but I didn't stress over it too much. They'd be here, soon enough.