Chapter Fourty-Two

*Troye's POV* (also before you even yell at me, no, Tyler doesn't come out in this chapter because I had to do some more rearranging shit but he will before the sleepover's over so take a big old chillpill and relaaaaaaaaaax)

"Mom, you said a 'couple things' not an entire grocery list of stuff!" I complained, leaning back against the counter and eyeing the ripped-out sheet of a notepad she'd just handed me. When she'd politely asked me to pick up some things from the store when I went to pick up Tyler I had not expected this. I'd expected one, maybe two things at most, and considering what a good mood I'd been in since waking up, I hadn't thought twice before agreeing to it. 

"That is a couple things! It'll only take you a minute to grab them, Troye. God forbid anything take your time with Tyler away from you." She huffed, turning away from me to march off into the living room. I rolled my eyes despite the fact she clearly couldn't see it, listening as she barked at Tyde to help her set up some of her never-ending Halloween decoration collection. She'd been in full-on control freak mode all day, so I knew better than to actually seriously argue with the whole grocery situation. 

I decided to just leave it at that, turning on my heel and walking out of the room after her, grocery list folded-up and tucked in my pocket. I made a point to dart toward the front door quickly, not wanting her to catch up with me and load any more of her chores onto me. That could be left for Tyde and Sage, payback for yesterday. I managed to make it out the door with seconds to spare, considering I heard her start a sentence with my name before the door clicked into place behind me. I hurried over to my car, slipping into the driver's seat and immediately moving to start it. The drive was short but I was already running late to start with. And as my mother so kindly put it, god forbid anything take my time with Tyler away from me.

By the time I got there it was already technically time for Tyler to be closing up, but thankfully he hadn't actually locked the doors yet and I intended to take full advantage of that last couple of second time window I had for grocery shopping. Not that I was really that passionate about making sure I got everything, more-so because I knew it'd frustrate Tyler having to stick around until I'd finished. 

I practically jogged to the door, not wanting to get there just as Tyler locked up or anything. Thankfully that wasn't the case and I managed to slip in pretty easily, only tripping over my own feet like an idiot once on the way. As soon as the doors closed behind me I started scanning the room for the familiar head of blonde hair, pouting slightly when I didn't see him in his usual spot by the register. Ugh, now I have to find him. I stood on my tippy-toes, just barely being able to peer over the shelves with the height advantage. I didn't actually end up seeing anything, but after a couple seconds passed the sound of Tyler humming softly filled the room and gave away where he was just as easily. My eyes fell on the office where the supplies closet was, just barely catching a bit of movement through the door before he walked out of my line of vision. My eyes went wide, an idea sparking in my mind and my feet moving toward him before I even had time to think it through. 

It wasn't until I was actually standing beside the door, my back against the wall and my breathing hushed, that I realized that a jumpscare would probably only piss him off. Then again, wouldn't his reaction make it worth while if he actually did get scared? I could tease him about it too, earning one of those adorable bashful blushes he hardly ever wore. No, it'd definitely be worthwhile. Or at least that's what I thought, until I'd been standing there bored out of my mind for five minutes. What the hell was he doing in there that was taking so long? Was he trying to sort out the supplies closet? God, I hope not, we wouldn't get our of here until midnight if that was the case. Maybe I should just go in there and check on him- My train of thought was cut off by the unmistakable sound of Tyler's feet shuffling against the floor, walking closer to the door. He was mumbling under his breath too, it sounded almost like complaining- Oh shit, right, I was supposed to be here to pick him up fifteen minutes ago. To be fair, I had gotten here ten minutes late, he just didn't know that yet. As he got closer I got into a better position, tensing all of my muscles as I got ready to jump forward. Closer, closer, closer-