Chapter Thirty-Four

*Tyler's POV*

The entire drive home it was still all I could think about. Sure, I'd come to a conclusion about how I was going to approach the relationship from now on, letting Troye make all the moves because I'm a total chicken, but that didn't make the current situation any less pressing. He was angry with me, that much was clear. Why else would he rush off like that when he usually had to drag his feet and stall for time before he left me? So if I knew he was mad, all that was left was determining just how mad he was.

My original plan had been to find out tomorrow at school, show up early and find him before any classes started. I didn't care if people seen me with him at this point, I just had to make sure we were okay. His opinions mattered a lot more to me than those of the rest of the school. But something had altered those plans. Well, more-so, someone. 

I was still feeling pretty drained when I hauled myself out of the car, sighing heavily and running a hand through my floppy hair. Normally I showered when I got home from football games, understandably, but tonight I didn't even have the energy for that. I'd shower in the morning. I trudged across the yard, thinking about my schedule for tomorrow and how early I was going to have to set my alarm if I wanted to be early for Troye. I was still lost in thought when I walked into the house, not even thinking as I made direct tracks for my room. It wasn't until I smacked into something that I came back to Earth, curious what my mother had left in the entryway. That was, before I realized it was my mother. She was standing with all of her weight on one hip, looking at me with a frown on her face.

"Honey, what's wrong?" She asked quietly, concern flooding into her eyes as they studied my face. I gave an unconvincing chuckle, shimmying past her and further into the house. 

"Nothing, Mom, I'm just tired." I lied, trying my best to keep my voice even as I spoke. I walked into the kitchen then, rummaging around in the fridge until I'd retrieved the juice carton. I could feel my mother's eyes on me as I walked around the room and got myself a drink, but I refused to acknowledge her like she was so obviously begging for me to do. I didn't want to have this conversation right now, possibly not ever. 

I chugged my drink, crossing my fingers as I turned around that I wouldn't see my mother standing behind me. No such luck. She was in the doorway too, meaning I had no hopes of sneaking out of the room without talking. Damn it.

"Tyler." She said strictly, obviously noticing the disappointed expression on my face. I sighed heavily, gripping the counter and hoisting myself up to sit on it. Might as well make myself comfortable, I'm probably gonna be here for awhile.

"It's nothing, okay?" I said, an absolute last attempt to get out of here without talking. She crossed her arms across her chest, her eyes narrowing as they found mine in a glare. Okay, nevermind, I'm not getting out of this one. "We might have kind-of almost kissed, but that's it-"

"Tyler! What do you mean 'almost'? How do you almost kiss somebody?" The questions flew out of her mouth, her eyes wide as she left the doorway to come stand in front of me. I sighed, realizing I was going to have to relive it.

"You lean in-" I paused, waiting until she'd settled completely for dramatic emphasis. "And then their dad opens the door and you jump away from him so fast you crack your neck in the process."

"Well, why didn't you kiss him after his dad left?" She asked immediately after I'd finished, obviously not nearly done with her interrogation. I sighed, sinking down further in my spot. Normally I loved talking about boys with my mother, but not when I'd just screwed up my chance to kiss said boy. I just wanted to go to sleep and forget about it right now, the post-embarrassment was killing me.