Chapter 27

Cassidy's POV

Three months has past since Lucas was born. Caleb has been coming up once a month to help out around the apartment while Zack moved in with me to help out with Lucas. Sure we had our ups and downs, but we have history and he was my first friend when I moved up to Wisconsin my sophomore year.

Getting Lucas out of the car seat, I go ahead and make myself a cup of coffee. Glancing at the refrigerator I see a note from Zack that says: Sorry Love, my mom called with terrible news. Anthony was in a car accident today. He's up in St. Mary's hospital as where I am. I love you stay home and stay safe with Lucas. -Zack

Quickly I text Zack saying I'm coming up with Lucas. I don't wait for a response. I place Lucas back in the car seat and drive up to St. Mary's hospital.

With the drive being short, I'm up there within fifteen minutes. I get Lucas out of his car seat and grab the diaper bag and hustle into the hospital. "Anthony Donahue?" I ask at the front desk.

"Room 409. Down the hall and to the right are the elevators." The lady kindly says. I walk down the hall and quickly get in an open elevator.

Once I'm on fourth floor, I exit the elevator and begin to walk down the hall. I find Anthony's room quickly and enter quietly. Anthony is lying there with a breathing tube in and multiple IVs in his arm. His eyes are closed and he has multiple cuts and bruises on his face, arms, and legs. His parents are sitting in the chairs next to his bed. His little brother about the age of eight if I remember right and his sister are standing at the foot of his hospital bed. Zack and Ace are on the opposite side of the bed that his parents are on. Anthony's little brother notices me and runs over to give me a hug.

"Hi Cassidy. I've missed you so much." little Carter says, whipping a stray tear away.

"I've missed you too little man." I whisper, holding back tears. By now Zack and Ace have noticed me enter the room and so has Anthony's family.

"I'll take Luke." Zack says as I hand him the baby. "Take Carter and Aubry down for some lunch. They haven't eaten since breakfast." I nod my head and lead them out of the room and down to the cafeteria.

"What are you guys hungry for?" I ask once we get downstairs.

"Is there like a grilled chicken patty or anything like that?" Aubry asks, looking around at the food options.

"Yeah, it's right over there." I say pointing to the far side of the cafeteria. She walks over there, leaving me with Carter. "What do you want little man?"

"Can I just have a cheese burger with juice?" He asks, looking up at me.

"Sure, let's go find you a cheese burger." I say, walking him to the counter.

I bring Aubry and Carter back up by Anthony and see Zack isn't up there but Ace has Lucas. Aubry and Carter go over by their parents while I motion for Ace to come with me. We walk into the hallway and he hands me Lucas. "Where's Zack?" I ask, cuddling Lucas close to my body.

"I don't know. He handed me the baby and told me to wait for you to come back up." Ace explains, looking back through the door at his best friend.

"Ok. You can go back in if you want. I was going to walk around until Lucas is almost asleep." I suggest, rocking back and forth.

"I'll come with you. I've been up here all day." Ace says, smiling.

"Ok, let's go." I say, starting to walk. We start talking about how jobs and my schooling since he spends most of his time with his cousin who just started college and is really struggling. We're about three quarters the way around the floor when I stop in my tracks.