Chapter 1

Cassidy's POV

I've been in Wisconsin for two day and I already hate it. I started school today and I don't know anybody yet. There were a few girl that let me hang out with them. But other than that it's still school.

"Cassidy, dinner's ready." My grandpa says, opening the door to my room.

"Ok." I say, putting my book away. I walk out of my room and into the kitchen. "What's for supper tonight?" I take a seat at the table next to my grandpa.

"Chicken alfredo." My grandma says, setting the chicken down in the middle of the table. My grandpa takes a large spoon full and puts it on his plate. I do the same, placing the food on my plate. "Cassidy, why don't you lead grace."

"Ok." I start. "Dear Lord, thank you for this food you provided for us tonight. Thank you for this family and our friends. In Your name we pray. Amen." We begin to eat the chicken alfredo. While we are eating, my phone buzzes in my pocket. I try to get it out without my grandma noticing, but of course being as clumsy as I am, I drop my phone on the floor.

"Don't you dare bring that phone out while you at the table." My grandma warns. I finish my food shortly after the incident. Getting up and I take my plate to the kitchen sink and rinse it off and then place it in the dishwasher.

"I'm gonna go back to my room." I say, walking back to the table to pick up my phone. I don't get a response so I walk back into my room. I plop down in my beanbag chair that my grandpa made me and unlock my phone to see I have a message and a missed call from Hunter. I decide that I will call him since I already miss him. It rings four times before he finally answers.

"Cassidy?" Hunter asks.

"Hey Hunt." I say, letting a smile creep across my face. "It feels so good to hear your voice again."

"I miss you so much Cass." Hunter starts. "How's life in Wisconsin?"

"I miss you too Hunt. And I already hate Wisconsin." I say, the smile disappearing from my face.

"What don't you like about it?" He asks.

"Everything. You and Julie and Bethany are over 800 miles away. My grandma doesn't love me. Well she acts like it. She actually hasn't said that she didn't. And getting back into the habit of school absolutely sucks." I say, resting my head on the wall.

"Oh, I see. Does your grandpa love you?" Hunt asks.

"Yeah, my grandpa actually loves me. He loved my mom, but my grandma didn't. She wanted a boy but never got one out of three kids." I explain, remembering what my mom had told me.

"So your grandma doesn't love you because your not a boy?" He asks.

"Yeah, pretty much." I reply. "You know, you ask a lot of questions."

"I know, but you love it." He says, laughing.

"Cassidy, you better not be talking to that Hunter kid." My grandma warns.

"Hunt, I have to go now. I'll maybe text you tonight. Tell Julie I love her. Bye Hunt." I hang up before he responds and toss my phone on the carpet. I reach for my book on my night stand and open it up just before my grandma walks in.

"Were you talking to somebody?" She questions.

"No. I might have been talking to myself. I was reading the entire time." I say, showing her my book.

"Sure you were." She says, turning around to head out of my room. "Like I said when you got here, don't talk to him. He's the past." She walks out of the room shutting my door. I decide to start the little homework I had which is Biology. I finish that within fifteen minutes and decide that I will text Julie.