eighteen

•mila•

waking up the next morning, my head was consumed with the throbbing pain of a hangover. i groan and look over, expecting to see shawn next to me. when i realize he wasn't there i grab my phone to text him. memories from last night start flooding my mind and i can feel my cheeks heat up.

although the main thing on my mind was the way shawn made me feel, the one thing that really stuck with me was what he said before we fell asleep. he was smiling as wide as i'd ever seen him, and he whispered, "i really like you."

when i open my phone to text him, my eyes widen at what i see in my recent messages. my ex, liam, sent me a text about twenty minutes ago.

Liam (don't respond): Happy Thanksgiving Mila. Just wanted to let you know that I'm thankful for you and the lesson you taught me

his text does nothing but anger me. what does he mean by "the lesson" i taught him? nothing but bullshit comes out of that man's mouth, i swear. i don't respond for now because i know i will say something rude. i decide to get ready for the day before exiting the room; i didn't want shawn's family to see me as a bum.

the second i leave the room, shawn was coming out of another room at the same time. i assumed it was his bedroom. when our eyes lock, he scowls at me.

"what?" i ask him.

he ignores me and walks down the hall. i awkwardly follow behind him, feeling very uncomfortable all of the sudden.

"shawn..." i whisper. "are you mad at me or something?"

"don't talk to me." he responds harshly.

before he could walk down the stairs, i grab his arm and use all of my strength to pull him backwards.

"i'm not doing this with you again," i keep my voice at an angry whisper. "what is wrong this time?!"

"why don't you ask liam?" he responds.

"what?!" my first thought was that he saw liam's text before i did and he was angry about it. but for what? it's not like i knew he was going to text me. i haven't talked to him in months.

"all i'm saying is don't have sex with me and act like you like me if you still text your ex."

"shawn, i had no idea he was going to-"

"i don't want to hear it." he interrupts me and disappears down the stairs. great. now i wasn't sure how i was going to have the guts to go down there. it's not like i was comfortable enough to just hang out with his mom, i had only just met her yesterday.

my anxiety was overwhelming me so much at this point, i felt frozen at the top of the staircase. there was no way i was going to be able to go down there. not to mention, shawn's whole family was coming over today to celebrate thanksgiving. fuck.

all i could do was turn around and go back to the guest bedroom. i tried my very best to hold back the tears that were trying so hard to push through. i knew once i started i wasn't going to be able to stop.

while sitting on the bed, i decide to text liam back.

To- Liam (don't respond): thanks i guess but don't text me again. if you do i'm just gonna block your number

i tried to get my point across without sounding too mean. i knew he deserved for me to be an asshole
towards him, but i would have ended up feeling bad later on. after texting liam, i send a text to shawn in hopes he will stop being mad at me.

To- Shawn Mendes: hey i'm sorry that liam texted me but i had no idea that he was going to do that, i haven't spoken to him in forever. i have zero feelings for him and i really like you so please just talk to me about this instead of ignoring me and being mad. also, i'm really uncomfortable right now. you shouldn't have invited me if you can't make me feel comfortable here.