one

SIX MONTHS EARLIER

~mila~

"a sprite for you," my roommate marissa grins as she sets my large mcdonald's beverage on the bathroom sink in front of me. "and an orange fanta for you!" she places another large drink in front of my other roommate, tayshia.

"thank yooouu." i smile at marissa and take a sip of my sprite. i savored the taste of plain soda before adding the Smirnoff Vodka to it. tayshia does the same.

"don't get too drunk before starting your makeup," tayshia warns with a laugh. "remember last time?"

i join her laughter, remembering the time my friends let me go out looking like a clown because i pregamed before doing my makeup.

"yeah, yeah i learned my lesson." i roll my eyes, finishing up my hair. i styled it into a half down look with the other half made into two space buns.

"riss, you end up putting a costume together?" i ask my other roommate who was now sitting on the closed toilet seat. it was the weekend before halloween, which was thursday. there were going to be many different halloween parties and the three of us decided to go out together.

"yep, i'm going to be a cat." she responds.

tayshia chuckles and playfully says, "basic."

"shut up, it was the easiest last minute solution!" marissa says to her and i just shrug.

"at least you'll be the hottest cat out there." i smile at her.

"aww, you're too sweet. do you need help with your makeup?" she asks me and i shake my head. i was going as an 'alien' for halloween, also slightly basic but i don't really care.

tayshia had a couples costume going on with her boyfriend, grayson, who would be here any minute with his friends. she was dressing up as a cow and he was a farmer. i thought it was funny and cute. they were my favorite couple.

she was wearing a plain black tube top with a high-waisted, cow printed skirt and knee-high heeled black boots. she looked pretty hot.

as if on cue from my thoughts, i heard our front door swing open and grayson's loud voice boom throughout our apartment. "party's here!"

"i wonder who he brought this time." marissa says before standing and exiting the bathroom. tayshia follows, excited to see her boyfriend. i stayed in the bathroom to begin my makeup.

she was the only one of the three of us in a serious relationship. riss was sort of talking to this senior, but they weren't very serious. and then there's me, the most single of us all.

"where's the birthday girl?" another recognizable voice came from the living room. it was grayson's twin, ethan.

"in here!" i shout from the bathroom.

"get your ass out here, mila!" he shouts back and i roll my eyes. ethan could be annoying, but he was a close friend of mine.

i enter the living room to see my roommates, ethan, grayson, and one unfamiliar face. a tall, lean white boy with light brown, slightly curly hair. he was holding a fifth of something in his hand, i couldn't see what it was exactly. i noticed his bloodshot eyes and figured he was already pretty drunk.

"happy birthday." ethan and grayson say in unison, causing me to laugh. there's just something about a pair of twins saying something at the same time that makes me laugh.

grayson hands me a tall can of Mike's Harder Lemonade and i smile. "is this my birthday present?"

"yep, even though you're still underage." ethan responds. "why couldn't you finally turn 21 like the rest of us?"

"trust me, i wish i was 21 more than you do. are you guys going to introduce me to your friend?" i glance at the boy standing next to them and he looks back at me.

"i'm shawn," he says before one of the twins could say anything. "happy birthday. what are you, 20?"

"yep, sadly." i say to him.

"that's rough." he responds, taking another swig of whatever he's drinking. "at least you got us. i can buy for you anytime."

"thanks." i respond, then turn to everyone else. "i gotta finish my makeup."

grayson turns on some music so our pregame can begin, and as i walk down the hall i can feel someone's eyes on me the whole walk to the bathroom.