seventeen

•mila•

"happy thanksgiving!" i say to the bartender when i realized it was way past midnight. shawn and i had been at the bar for hours, and i was beyond drunk. i couldn't believe shawn was still going, considering he was already at the passed-out-drunk point when i found him here.

the bartender just laughs, shaking his head. "love, canada's thanksgiving was last month."

i furrow my eyebrows. "what?"

"oh, yeah, we celebrate in october." shawn informs me, chuckling at my expense.

"how come i didn't know that? and why is your family celebrating it now then?" i ask, genuinely confused. i went 20 years of my life without knowing this information.

"because i went to college in america and they hardly see me, so they wait until my break to have our real thanksgiving." he tells me.

"that's sweet." i smile. shawn's family just seemed like such nice people; i wondered if they knew about his little alcohol problem.

"it's whatever." he shrugs, drinking the rest of his beer and asking the bartender for another.

"i think we should go, i'm getting tired!" i whine to shawn. i have been asking to leave for the past 30 minutes, but he insisted we stayed. "and... kinda hungry."

he looks at me, seeming to be contemplating whether or not he should let me get my way. it was hard to get him to stop drinking, i realized. but surprisingly, he listened to me and said we could go get food somewhere.

"where is my car?" he asks me as we step outside. the air was cold and crisp, causing me to shiver.

"we can't drive, shawn." i say.

he groans. "fine, we will walk to the diner in this cold."

"how far? i don't know if i'm that hungry..." i say although my stomach told me otherwise. i was craving chocolate chip pancakes, but i wasn't sure if walking to them was worth it right now.

"it's literally right down there." he points and i follow the direction of his finger with my eyes, seeing a bright neon sign that read '24/7 diner'.

i smile wide and grab his hand as we begin walking. i wasn't sure why i grabbed his hand, but it made me happy that he didn't let go. 

inside the diner, there weren't that many guests. just a young couple in a booth and two men sitting in another. shawn and i looked over our menus as i began to think about the beginning of this night. after drinking a bunch with him, i had stopped thinking about why he left his parents house in the first place. now, i was thinking about it again.

"hey, are you okay?" i ask him.

he glances up at me and mutters "i'm fine" before looking back down at his menu.

"are you sure because you left without saying anything and—"

"mila, i'm fine." he interrupts me.

i let out a small sigh, deciding to let it go. however, my mind wasn't going to let it go. i sigh again in attempt to get him to talk. when he doesn't pay attention to me, i sigh again but even louder and more dramatic.

he returns a sigh, looking up at me finally and saying, "you never stop, do you?"

i smile innocently at him, "nope."

~~

after we ate at the diner, i wasn't feeling that drunk anymore. we sat there for a little while after we finished eating, drinking water and sobering up. when we got to shawn's car, i was okay to drive and i drove us back to his house.

i wasn't sure what time we got home, but i knew it was way later than it should have been.

shawn walks me to the guest bedroom and we stand in front of the door for a moment before he speaks up.

"i'm sorry for leaving you here." he whispers. the house was so quiet and dark, i was afraid to make any noise. "i shouldn't have done that."

"it's okay," i tell him. "i'm glad i found you."

"me too." he says, reaching a hand up to cup the side of my face. i close my eyes and lean into his touch, letting out a breath.

the next thing i felt was his soft lips on mine again, and it lit an even bigger fire in my chest than any of the times we kissed before. with our lips still attached, he pushes me against the door and presses his body against mine. i slide my small hands up his shirt and feel his warm skin as he holds my face in both of his hands.

"lets go in here, more private." he mumbles quietly, opening the bedroom door from behind me.

i blush when i enter the room, realizing all the places this could go. it was a little weird that we were at his parents house and they were asleep down the hall, but i also didn't care at the moment because shawn was so addicting.

i lay down on the bed and he hovers over me, looking at me intensely before kissing me on the cheek. "you're seriously so beautiful, i don't know if i've ever told you."

"so are you." i smile.

he laughs a little before kissing me again.

by the end of the night, i felt way closer to shawn that i ever have before, and the happiness consumed me.