eight

~mila~

the first thing i did when waking up the next morning was check my phone. sadly, out of all the notifications i received while sleeping, none were from shawn.

i contemplate skipping my 8am class, but decide against it and roll out of bed. i didn't have enough energy for my appearance, so i slip on some grey sweatpants and a light pink hoodie.

now that it was november, and i lived in michigan, it was freezing outside. i prepare myself before i go out into the cold, putting on a winter hat and my coat.

my class goes by in a drag, but i managed to take a few notes and not fall asleep. i checked my phone two times during class and neither times did i see a text back from shawn.

it was when i got back to my apartment that he texted me back.

i can pick you up from your apartment around 7?

sounds good!! i respond. i hated how quick i responded after all of that waiting, but whatever.

can't wait :) he sends and i smile at my phone.

i decide to take a nap before my shift at noon.a six hour shift wouldn't be so bad, but i was afraid it would go by slowly due to my anticipation about seeing shawn afterwards. i had just one hour after work to get ready before shawn would be at my apartment to pick me up.

~

as expected, work went by slowly. i didn't receive any good tips, and i even spilled a drink on myself halfway through my shift. however, i got through it and it was finally time to go home and get ready for my date with shawn. at least i hoped it was a date.

on the drive home, i thought hard about what i should wear tonight. i also started wondering how the night would go. last time shawn and i sort of 'hung out' was when we all went partying and he ended up storming out of my room. i hope i don't piss him off again. but this time there would be no alcohol involved, so we would be okay.

"finally, you're home!" tayshia shrieks when i walk in the door. she was also looking forward to my date with shawn apparently. "i wanted to help you pick out your outfit."

it was already approaching 6:30 by the time
i got home since my shift ran a few minutes late.

"i gotta shower really fast, you go in my room and look through my clothes while i do that." i tell her and she nods, both of us going our separate ways.

i take the fastest shower ever and hop out, entering my room in just my towel with my hair dripping. "find anything?"

"how's this?" she asks me, gesturing to the clothes she had laid out on my bed. it was a little much for a first date (still wasn't sure if it was a date or not), but the outfit was very cute.

it was a long sleeved, thin white sweater that buttoned in the middle. along with that was a plain, high waisted black skirt that reached the tops of my thighs.

"i figured you could wear some black tights under the skirt since it's kinda cold." she tells me.

"do you think it's too much?" i ask her nervously.

"shawn's gotta know he's gonna be dating a girl with style." she smiles.

i smile back, "you're right."

we rush to get myself ready, and i check my phone a few times to see if shawn has texted anything recently. i decide to send him a quick text at 6:52.

can't wait to see you!

we finally finish getting me ready by 7:02. shawn hasn't responded, so i assumed he was just driving over here and didn't check his phone. my hair was in a half up, half down style and i had my silver hoops in. i had light makeup on since i didn't have time to do a full face or anything. plus, my outfit was already over the top so i didn't want to overdo my makeup.

"he said he would be here at 7 right?" tayshia asks me. marissa has now joined us in the living room as we waited for shawn.

"yeah," i respond, anxiously biting my fingernails. "he's probably almost here."

"did he text you saying he's on his way?" marissa speaks up. i think they could both tell i was overly anxious at this point.

i check my phone then respond to her, "no, but maybe he's just gonna show up."

7:30 rolls around quickly and still no word from shawn. it was starting to sink in that maybe he forgot about me. maybe he was standing me up.

"fuck." i mutter, kicking off my shoes. "he's not coming."

"give him until 8, at least." tayshia says, putting her hand on my shoulder. "maybe he took a long nap on accident. you do that a lot."

"yeah, but not when i have plans..." i sigh.

"if he stands you up, then fuck him! we can all go out to dinner. you look too hot to let that outfit go to waste." marissa says, offering me a comforting smile.

i check my phone again, nothing.

8pm rolled by before i knew it, and i was starving. i decided to take marissa up on her offer, and the two of them got ready to go out with me. i didn't want to sit at home all night sulking in my embarrassment of being stood up.

~~

author's note:

hey everyone!! i haven't made an author's note yet on this story because i don't have many readers yet, but to the few that do read this i just wanted to say hello and i hope you will enjoy this story :)

if u have read any of my other books
let me know!! i wanna know who has been here since the good ole days when i wrote stories yeaarsss ago