sixteen

~mila~

shawn was long gone by the time his mother returned with a mug filled with hot chocolate. i thanked her while grabbing the mug, noticing the mini marshmallows floating above the warm liquid.

"sorry it took so long, i wanted to make it homemade." she tells me. "where did shawn go?"

i wasn't sure what to tell her; i was pretty sure shawn left, but his car was still parked in the driveway. i tried not to be angry at him for leaving me here alone, but i felt very uncomfortable. i wasn't the best at starting conversation and i knew his parents would enjoy their son's company more than some random girl's that they just met five minutes ago.

"i think he went to the store, he forgot his toothbrush." i respond.

"oh, well are you tired? i know it's already getting kind of late. i could show you the guest bedroom." she offers.

"that would be nice." i smile.

after i grab my backpack, she leads me upstairs and into a little plain room. there was a full sized bed with a nightstand next to it. on top of the nightstand was a lamp, and there was a small wooden dresser on the other side of the room. that was all there was to it.

"make yourself comfortable, i hope shawn will be back soon." she says to me before leaving me by myself, closing the door behind her.

i pull out my phone and text shawn: when are you coming back?

when he didn't respond after fifteen minutes, i decided to get ready for bed. i change into a pair of sweatpants and an old t-shirt from high school. after doing the usual face washing and teeth brushing, i lay down in the bed and text shawn again, multiple times.

why did you leave me here by myself??

please come back lol

when you asked me to come here with you i didn't picture me being here by myself the whole time

i set my phone on the table beside the bed and stare at the ceiling. i wasn't that tired, and i was extremely irritated with shawn. i waited a few hours for his return, and i started to worry about him. before he left he said 'i need a drink' so i can only imagine what he is out doing right now. i bet he was at some bar getting completely wasted right now. i hate 21 year olds.

suddenly i come to a realization that causes me to sit up in bed. i grab my phone to double check what i just remembered, and i google search 'what is the legal drinking age in canada'.

i grin, realizing i was actually in a place where i could legally drink alcohol. i look on my phone for the nearest bars and saw that there was one only a mile and a half away. i had a gut feeling that's where shawn was. all i had to do was get his car keys and find him.

i hoped it was acceptable to enter a bar in sweatpants because i was not in the mood to change. i put my coat on and walk downstairs, praying his parents had went to sleep. thankfully, no one was downstairs and i spotted shawn's keys on the coffee table right away.

i leave the house as quietly as possible and get into his car. i follow the directions on my phone until i arrive at the bar. was i really about to go in there to look for shawn? i hope he didn't think i was crazy. i just had this feeling that i should check on him, and i couldn't ignore it.

i take a deep breath before going inside. my gut feeling turned out to be true. shawn was sitting on a stool in front of the bar with his head on the table. he looked like he was asleep, his cheek pressed against the counter and his mouth open.

"oh, god." i mumble to myself as i walk over to him. i shove his shoulder lightly. "shawn, wake up."

he doesn't budge, so i shove him harder.

"five more minutes." he mumbles in his sleep. despite how annoying this was, i couldn't help but find him adorable.

"shawn!" i say a little louder this time and his eyes open.

"mila? what the fuck?" he looks around and i fight the urge to wipe the drool from the side of his face. thankfully he wiped it away with his sleeve before it drove me too crazy. "shit." he laughs, probably realizing he had passed out in the bar.

"yeah, i've been sitting at your parents house for hours." i respond, glaring at him.

"you're so cute when you're mad." he smiles cheekily at me, causing me to roll my eyes.

"seriously, i skipped out on my family for thanksgiving so that i could be there for you and this is what you're doing." i rant.

"someone needs a drink. cute outfit, by the way." he chuckles, eyeing my sweatpants.

"lets go back to your house now, please." i beg. i was now exhausted and really wanted to sleep.

"have one drink with me. come on, you're going to skip out on a chance to legally drink?"

i sigh in defeat, sitting next to him at the bar. he was right, i couldn't pass up the opportunity. and at least he was in a good mood, so i didn't mind staying at the bar with him for just one drink. maybe it would be fun.