seven

~mila~

when i got out of work at the end of the night, i checked my phone. the one thing that caught my eye was the message from an unknown number. figuring it was shawn, i opened it excitedly.

hey it's shawn, you still up for dinner tomorrow? the text read.

i quickly text back: hey just got out of work!! i'm still down for tomorrow :)

i wait to check for a response until i get back to my apartment. after parking my car in my usual parking spot, i grab my phone once again. he hadn't texted back yet, but it's only been about 10 minutes.

i go inside, tossing my phone and backpack onto the bed. after removing my dirty work clothes, i grab my towel that was hanging on my door and wrap it around my bare body. i check my phone again before showering, still no response. i check it again after showering, and still no response. maybe he was asleep? it's already almost 11pm.

"hey how was work?" tayshia asks me as i exit the bathroom.

"same as usual," i respond. "but guess what?!"

"what?" she asks excitedly as the two of us go into the kitchen together.

"shawn asked me to dinner tomorrow!" i say to her with enthusiasm, then open the fridge and grab the jar of pickles.

she gasps, clapping her hands in excitement. "holy shit! are you nervous?"

"extremely, dude. i haven't hung out with a boy since liam." i tell her truthfully. liam was my ex boyfriend of two years, and i still got a sour taste in my mouth from the mention of his name. we ended rather drastically about six months ago.

"damn..." she says. "well, shawn is a cutie and i'm sure he couldn't even do half the damage to your heart that liam did, so you're good!"

i laugh and shrug my shoulders. "shawn could just be wanting to be friends, lets not get ahead of ourselves."

she rolls her eyes at me. "please, who would want to be 'just friends' with your sexy ass?"

we both start laughing again. i was thankful for my roommates; they were amazing. i felt like i could talk to both of them about anything without being judged. they were always there when i needed them, and i was the same for them.

i check my phone again, giving up on the idea that shawn would respond at anytime tonight.

"i'm gonna go to bed, i have an 8am tomorrow." i tell her before exiting the kitchen. when i get to my room, i check my phone just one more time before going to sleep.