fifteen

~mila~

shawn and i were about 2 hours into our drive to canada, almost halfway there. i had never been to canada before, and i was honestly excited to see what it was like. however, i was a bit nervous to meet shawn's family. what was he going to introduce me as? probably just his friend.

"did you tell your parents i was coming?" i ask him.

"yeah," he responds. "they asked if you were my girlfriend."

i laugh awkwardly, wondering how he responded to that question.

"i hope you don't mind, but i told them that you are. i just didn't want them to ask so many questions about why i brought a random person to thanksgiving." he tells me, answering my thoughts.

i blush when i realize we had to pretend to be a couple while we were there. i mean, it couldn't be too hard considering we've already made out a bunch of times.

"okay." i say.

"okay, girlfriend." he jokes. i laugh even though i wish it wasn't a joke.

~

"can we stop at tim hortons?" i ask him when we are finally in canada.

shawn rolls his eyes at me. "you realize there's a tim hortons like 10 minutes from our campus? they aren't only in canada."

"yes, i've been there, i just feel like the ones here will be better." i respond. "and i'm starving."

"fine." he laughs at me. he seemed like he was in a good mood, which was nice.

i was anxious to meet his family. i know i'm not really his girlfriend, but they are going to think i am. that makes me want to leave a good impression on them, even if i will never see them again. i hoped they were nice people, which i assumed they were because shawn was a decent guy. you know, besides his random mood swings where he gets mad at me for basically no reason.

"you okay?" shawn asks me, snapping me out of my thoughts. he must have noticed i zoned out.

"yeah, just thinking about meeting your family." i respond truthfully.

"they're great people, they'll love you." he assures me. it makes me feel a little better, but i couldn't help my remaining nerves.

we go inside of tim horton's and eat together. shawn laughed at me because he had proved that it didn't taste any better than the one we had in our college town.

after that, we are officially headed to his childhood home. i guess we were planning to stay there for two nights: tonight and tomorrow. tomorrow was thanksgiving, and shawn said he wanted to leave the day after.

when we pull into the driveway of a cute, two-story brick home with a double car garage, my nerves only grow stronger. i was really all the way in canada, in shawn's car, in the driveway of the place he grew up.

"ready?" he asks me, and i nod despite my unsure feelings about actually being ready.

when we walk inside, my nostrils are greeted with the smell of cinnamon. it's warm and quiet in his house, which was very comforting compared to being surrounded by partying college students the past few months.

"mom? dad?" shawn yells throughout his house and i hear a woman's gasp from the kitchen.

"shawn, my baby!" the woman, who i assumed was his mother, cries as she runs out to the doorway. she engulfs him into a hug, squeezing him tight. i notice he smiles the second he is in her arms, and he relaxes into her. "i missed you so much."

"i missed you too." he sighs. they hug a few seconds longer, and then he pulls away. "this is mila."

she looks at me, seeming to just now notice my presence. "i'm so sorry, dear. i haven't seen my shawn in forever, i got carried away." she smiles sincerely at me.

"it's okay," i return her smile. "i totally get it."

"it's so nice to meet you." she suddenly hugs me as well, and i hug her back with the attempts of not acting as awkward as i felt. shawn and i make eye contact while i am hugging her, and he mouths an apology to me.

shawn's mom leads us to the living room where i meet his father. he was a kind man, but not nearly as personal as his mother seemed. he kept to himself while his mom talked our ears off.

"would either of you like some hot cocoa?" she asks us.

"no thanks." shawn responds.

she looks at me and i say, "i would love some."

when she leaves the room, shawn laughs at me. "you're being weird."

"how?" i ask, embarrassed.

"you're acting way too nice."

"well, maybe i am way too nice. ever thought about that?"

his dad pays no attention to our conversation, as he was watching something on their tv.

"yeah, i have actually." he smiles at me. i adored his smile so much, and i wished i could look at it all the time. but sadly, his smile didn't appear as much as i would like it to.

my eyes wander around the room we sat in as we waited for his mother to return. next to the couch we were sitting on was an end table with a few picture frames sitting on it. the picture that caught my eye was the one from what seemed to shawn's high school graduation. in the picture was him, his parents, and a young girl who i could only guess was his sister.

i must have been staring at the picture for too long because shawn was suddenly looking at it too. i tear my eyes away quickly, and i notice his jaw clench.

"i will be right back," he mutters to me. "i need a drink."