74

Nicolas

I don't know what to do anymore. A part of me yearns to kidnap her for a few days and remind her of who she is, of who we were and what we could become. I wanted to remind her of the good in her life and the bad that can be overcome.

A part of me also yearns to run away far from here. To leave the house, the life. To leave her. I don't want to see her, hear her or think of her. Not when I can't love her like I used to. Not when she refuses to love me back.

I made her my life and chose to revolve around her. Now that she ripped herself away from me all I can feel is the burn of the air on torn skin. I don't want to live a life where she is gone.

That void. That darkness that she's been heading towards for a while now has consumed her. I watched it happen. I chose, for my sake and sanity, to ignore the way she was growing darker by the hour.

She killed Mussolini. She hit Lorenzo.

She's not her anymore. She's become her anger and despair. Her hopelessness and fear. She's become nothing but a vessel for all the emotions that are fighting a war within her. She's succumbed to the darkness of our world.

What can I do? To her, I'm nothing but a reminder of what used to be. What can't be due to the fear and the self loathing.

What can I do? I don't know.

**

I watched from afar as her motorcycle came to a stop. Bright red. That color easily draws attention. She's gone ape shit but not stupid. She knows to stay unseen. There's something more to this.

I was about to call for backup, but she went inside the old building. I didn't want to lose her, so I put the phone back in my pocket and followed inside. Still, from afar.

Something in me screamed that there was something fishy about this. Something not right. I overlooked that feeling. She wouldn't hurt me. Not physically at least. Well...not fatally at least.

Up the stairs. To the left.

I lost her after that. I walked up and down the hallway of that floor. Left. Right. Left. Right. Nothing.

Like a ghost. She just vanished. I was ready to pull my phone out when I heard a loud noise. I looked back.

It came from the end of the hall. The last door on the right. It was closed.

I inched closer. I knew better than to go inside. It may not have been her. There may be something else in there.

Well. I'm supposed to know better. A crashing sound followed by a scream has the tendency to cloud my judgement.

I busted through the door. The room was neither big or small. The building must have been an old weird hotel of some sort. There was a bar to the side of the room and big broken windows on the back. A large dirty couch was against the other wall and five men were sitting on it. They looked oddly familiar.

She wasn't here. I looked around everywhere but couldn't find her. Red flags were flashing in my mind in every direction. This wasn't right. Something was wrong.

Did she?

"Would you look at that?" One of the men said.

She wouldn't.