67

It all made sense now.

"Hey, daughter." I never thought I'd hear his voice again. "I've missed you."

I stared at him, dumbstruck. Not dumbstruck at seeing him—well, that and dumbstruck at the overwhelming nothingness I felt.

"You know," he stepped forward and pulled out a set of keys from his pocket. He dangled them in front of me and smirked. "I have been waiting a long time to get to this point."

It all made sense now.

I tried saying something, but with the bandana in my mouth, I was unable to.

Smirking, Michael made his way over to me and unlocked the cage. He grabbed me by the arm and dragged me out, yanking the bandana off my face as soon as I was out. The soreness in my mouth was impossible to ignore. The sides of my mouth were cut and my tongue felt heavy.

Three expectant gazes were directed at me. Each more menacing than that other. I licked my lips and swallowed, a weak attempt at soothing my parched throat.

"How...how long?" I barely got the words out. Not because of anything relating to emotions, but because it physically hurt me to speak.

Michael sighed, he seemed to be taking the reins right now. With a flick of his finger, he got Katerina to stand up and give him her chair. "I was there when Aurora announced the pregnancy."

I felt one painful thump in my heart and swallowed again. This time, it was to swallow the lump. "Why...why not j-just take...take me then?"

He smiled, his head cocking to the side. "Because that's not how we do it. Besides, we have you right where we want you."

Before I could reply, Angelo clapped his hands, grabbing my attention. "Think for a moment, my lovely child. When your parents died, why do you think you got over the grief so incredibly fast? Why do you think your friend's death didn't hit you as hard? Why do you think you've been able to inject yourself in this world so quick and effective? It wasn't by chance, it was by practice."

Michael leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees and interlacing his fingers, his eyes trained on me. "Since the moment you came to my home, I have made sure to get you ready for the day we would take you. And, I'm proud to admit, you've shown exceptional results. You are stronger than all of them. You are the one that will bring us to glory."

I couldn't hide the shock I felt at the words of the first man I ever loved. The man that I thought to be my father, even after I was informed otherwise. As I looked at him I couldn't believe it.

Gone was the kindhearted soul that I grew to love.

Gone was the man who taught me how to be the person I was.

I didn't know how to process all of that.

But if was thing was for certain, it was that I was fucking sick of living a lie.

Whoever this man was, fuck him too.

"You're sick," I spat out with as much venom as I could. And for a split second, one I caught easily, his malevolent gaze faltered.

I wish it could be for the reason that, deep down, I knew I hoped for. That he wasn't this person and he realized it now. That the reason he called me his daughter wasn't for some perverted plan that he had with the man who has changed my life for the worse. That the man that I love and would have given my life for isn't one of the people who have tried to kill me.

But that wasn't the reason.

When his gaze faltered, it wasn't because his love for me was real.