44

No. This isn't happening. This isn't possible.

This can't...it just...God, this...please! No!

I can't make my mouth work, nothing comes out. I'm not sure that I am even breathing.

Oxygen is a foreign concept as my eyes—the only working part of my body, right now—take in what is happening before them.

"What was that?" Angelo said, extending his hand to grab him and pull him towards him.

Swallowing my pride and any will to be strong, I let myself crumble. "Please, don't."

His smile came back and amusement lit his eyes, "I might love you, my darling, but even you can't prevent this."

I swore that not a single tear would trail down my face, and I was succeeding. Not even a hot knife ripping through my skin made me cry. I groaned and clenched my fists so hard that blood came out, but didn't shed a tear—despite the numerous that were pooling at my eyes. Not even a splash of alcohol, which set my body on fire, made me cry.

But this...this made me go harder than the Niagara Falls.

A mixture of anger, pain, and anxiety flooded me. I felt choked up with all these emotions that I wish I could erase. I wish I could feel nothing and just make it through this.

But I can't. I feel everything. I feel this very much so right now.

The anger spoke louder and, ignoring the pain from the wounds on my hands, I clenched my fists and dug my nails harder into my skin.

"Hurt me! Just hurt me! Cut me, shoot me, beat me! I don't care! Just don't hurt him...p-please!"  

He cocked his head and looked over to the piece of my heart he was holding. A piece that I would most likely never get back. With a slight shake of his head, he confirmed my worst fears.

"You son of a bitch! You son of a fucking bitch! You said you wouldn't hurt anyone! You said you'd only hurt me!"  

I didn't care about begging. Begging was the last thing on my mind right now.

Jacob, on his knees with a bloody face and bruised body, was the first. 

I couldn't decide whether to look at him, Angelo, or the gun pressed to side of Jacob's head.

Angelo let out a chuckle, amusement and desire lighting up his bright blue, venomous eyes. My fists clenched tighter making my nails dig deeper into my skin, blood spilling from my palms.

"I did, I sure did—"

"Then take it out on me!" I shouted, shaking my body so hard I heard the chains rattle.

"—but this isn't about you. You just happen to be here to enjoy the show."

Confusion was added to the mixture of emotions whirling through me at the moment. How is this about anything but me?

I don't want to sound self-centered, but I don't understand.

He nodded at my confusion and continued talking, pressing the gun more onto Jacob's temple.

He was gagged and had his hands tied behind his back. Tears were spilling from his eyes as he looked directly at me.

The last remaining piece of my heart broke into millions of tiny pieces, some getting too lost to ever be found.

However this ends, I just know I won't recover.

"You see," Angelo began, "I had started counting down the minutes to his death since the day he disappeared. I knew he was rather acquainted with you, which made me want to join forces with the Rattle Snakes. Not only did they have eyes on you at all times, but they also made for a direct link between me and someone you love. Our dear Jacob here was the perfect match. So I had the Snakes go out for him, try and lure him in. And, like the weak little scemo he is, took the bait effortlessly."