2

Martin brought me a glass of water and I couldn't bring myself to drink it. It didn't feel right. My mother and apparently father were just murdered, and here I am having a conversation and drinking a fucking glass of water.

They must have realized that I didn't feel comfortable because Jason stood up and said, "Okay, I'll call the men to come pick us up, so we can get going."

I didn't move or blink, I barely felt the presence of the people around me. I just stared at the glass and couldn't help but remember my mom laying, in the exact spot I am right now, bloody, pale, dead.

I felt vomit rising to my throat and I ran to the bathroom. Again I felt everything closing in on me. The walls came closer together until I felt I was in a shoebox. I couldn't breath and I felt like I would faint. All the breakfast I prepared this morning was disposed of, and I felt the hot tears running down as I emptied my stomach.

Nothing is right, I need to get out of here. But what they are saying is true, we are in danger, or so I seems. But after thinking about for a minute I thought, how do we know we are safe with them.

I stomped out of the bathroom, and everyone got up.

"How do we know we are safe with you, that you don't want to kill us too."

They all seemed taken aback by my sudden outburst. Jason got up and had regret written all over his face and then took out a phone. He pressed some buttons and handed it to me.

I covered my mouth as tears once again flooded my eyes, it was a video of my father, the time stamp read this morning. My hands were shaky as I pressed play:

I miei bambini,

I started sobbing.

Los amo con todo mi corazon. Always remember that. If you are watching this, mama and I are dead. I'm so sorry for this, and what you are going through. Just know that, I love you all so so much. And please mi tesoro, don't blame Jony for anything. He couldn't have known, and I made him promise not to tell you anything. Please, please do as my friends Jason, Martin and Lorenzo say. You are in good hands and they are your best protection against the bad people. They will explain everything to you. I love you all. 

My father began to cry and the video ended. I felt tears stream down my face. How did my father know this would happen?

I looked up and gave Jason the phone back and saw Jony standing looking at me. I remembered what my father said, don't blame Jony for anything. He couldn't have known, and I made him promise not to tell you anything.

My face got red as rage consumed me in an instant.

"You knew." I said so softly, I'm not sure that he heard me, but he did.

He stepped forward and begins, "Tasia, I—"

"Don't call me that."

I clenched my fists in an attempt to control myself.

"Please, Anastasia."

His voice was soft and sorry.

"Answer me."

It was getting harder to control the anger.

"Yes, but—"

I lost it.

"But what! You knew and you kept it a secret!"

I took a step forward, still trying desperately to stop myself from punching him in the face.