4

I don't know how long I've been crying, but its pitch black outside. I look at nothing and my sobs keep getting louder little by little. I can't help it, everything just came at me too fast and I was caught off guard.

I heard noises outside. And immediately held my breath. The the footsteps faded and I began crying again. I felt drowsy and disgusting. My pillow was crazy wet and the tears were unstoppable. I kept on thinking about everything and right when I was gonna begin all over again, the door opened.

I dug my head in my pillow quickly.

"Princess?"

I didn't say a word but they knew I was awake.

"Hey hot stuff, it's Mateo and I. Are you okay?"

I felt guilt rising and I didn't know why. I sat up and prayed they didn't turn on the lights.

They did.

When they could see me clearly, they took a minute to examine my face. I felt the most vulnerable I have ever in that moment. My eyes were probably bloodshot red and swollen, my cheeks felt hot and my face was wet. Their eyes looked sad and then turned into, excitement?

"Hot stuff, how do strawberries and sugar sound?" Asked Gabriel.

"Guys I—"

"Nope, too late." Mateo turned around and picked up a big bowl, almost the size of a bucket and another normal size bowl.

They circled around to my bed and sat down. Before they could get any further I sat back and turned my pillow over. When they placed the bowls on the bed I saw it was a ton of strawberries and sugar.

Mateo grabbed the remote to the TV and turned it on. He put Netflix on and started a movie. They sat beside me and we started eating. Every once in a while they made fun of the actors faces and joked about the plot, making me laugh until I couldn't breath.

When the movie ended they both picked up the strawberries and as they were leaving I couldn't help but start wondering.

"Hey guys?"

They turned around to face me.

"Why did you join my fathers...gang? I mean, I don't mean to judge but I can't imagine your life being so bad that you join a gang."

I swallow, hoping they don't take it the wrong way, even though it came out awfully.

I obviously caught them off guard because they had a look that made me hate myself for asking.

"Hey. You know what, that was so uncool of me. You don't have to answer, sorry."

"No princess, its alright. I don't mind."

"Me either hot stuff."

I smile at the names. Its been only a few hours, but I feel like I can trust these boys. Maybe its because of the circumstances, but still.

"In my case..um..my...my father" Mateo kept struggling to get it out and I hated myself.

"Its alright Mateo. You don't have to."

"I want to. Its okay"

"My father and mother were...uh...I guess you could say abusive. I lived in Colombia and things were tough. I had to balance school and work because my parents forced me to work. They beat me bad..haha..yeah my folks were something serious. So this one day I'm walking back home, paycheck in my bookbag and these men come and point a gun at me. I panic and don't know what to do, they take my book bag and leave me with nothing. I didn't go home because I was afraid of what my pops would do to me. So I walked and walked, not knowing what to do. I didn't realize I was actually walking towards my dad until he was right in front of me. He was with another woman...huh...that bastard. He came up to me and asked me where the money was, and I didn't respond. I was practically shitting my pants. Hoping he didn't kick my ass right then and there. He noticed I didn't answer and he slapped me. He was drunk so it was hard, blood cane out of my nose and I had no idea what to do. I felt trapped and terrified. I think he's the only guy I'll ever be scared of. Anyways, he ended up beating me up and making blood coming out of anywhere. He must have been smacking me around for about ten minutes, that felt like hours, when suddenly he stopped. I was close to unconscious, not knowing what was happening and the next thing I know, I'm getting picked up and my dad left running. Some men put me in their car and I knocked out. When I woke up they told me the boss wanted to see me, and I thought I was in danger. A few hours later, your dad walked in the room and sat next to me. He told me his men saw the two punks stealing from me and that he got my money back. He then asked how long my dad had been beating me and I told him my whole life. He looked worried, and I was scared out of my mind. He left the room and came back and gave me my money. I didn't know what to do, so I took it. He told me that he'd be willing to help me out if I wanted. I asked if he killed my dad and he said no, that men like that don't deserve that level of mercy and that I shouldn't intoxicate myself with those thoughts. He told me that he would gladly accept me into his family, as he called it. He said I would be taken care of and that I would have money, that no one would hurt me again. He also said I wouldn't have to do anything dangerous unless absolutely necessary. He has kept his word since, and I couldn't be more grateful. Your father saved my life princess, if it weren't for him I would probably be the crack head my dad was, and probably still is, or dead. He was an awesome guy."

I was in tears, not knowing how else to respond. I tried to not show pity because it was not what I felt but the only thing I could convey. His life was so tough, as If could admire him anymore.

He gave me a soft smile and I realized that it was hard for him to share so I was grateful.

Gabriel looked sad, I could tell he had heard this story before and was still taken aback by it.

My head turned to Gabriel who looked uneasy, I wanted to tell him that it was okay and that he didn't have to share, but before I could say anything he began.

"This gang is all I have ever known, to be honest. I never had a normal family because my parents died when I was around three. I was put in the custody of bad people. They didn't beat me, but they didn't give a rats ass about me either. When I was about six, they threw me out of their house and didn't let me back in. I was left to fend for myself in the streets of Venice. I stole from every little outpost I could find and one day it caught up to me. I stole from one of the members of your dad's gang and they grabbed me. I was terrified but then he assured me it was all going to be alright. He met with me personally and told the people from the gang to take care of me well, that I was a priority. They taught me how to fight and practically everything I know, and since I have had a family. Just like Mateo, your father saved me from inevitable perdition. He always took care of the less fortunate. Yes, he has his flaws like any human being, but he was a very caring and genuine man. You were lucky to be his daughter."

I smiled and looked at the bed sheets. I always knew my dad was special, he was always great. I just have a hard time swallowing all this new information.

They began to get up again and said goodnight. I waved and they left, leaving me alone with myself again. Except this time I didn't cry, this time I was able to close my eyes, and even though I still struggled to, I fell asleep.

Hey.

The chapters will get longer. I promise. ✋🏻✋🏻