Cold Play Part 45

She felt relieved. Scar felt a sense of relief being here as well. Lex locked up and went to start a fire. She turned on the furnace and set a kettle of water to boil. Scar followed her around observing her. She excused herself to the bathroom. She needed to brush her teeth and wash her face. He started removing the sheets and drop cloths from her furniture. She walked back to the kitchen. "You have not been here in quite a while." He stated. "No. It's been months." She said sorrowfully. She quickly looked away. Scar scanned her heart and her heart beat frantically. Her blood vessels were constricting. She was in distress and he didn't understand why. Scar went to the stove, removed the kettle and took off his mask.

Lex stood watching him. She felt anxious. He turned off the stove. "Lex.......speak to me. Please. What is wrong? Are you feeling well? No. You are not.....I can answer the question for myself. What is troubling you?" Lex could only drop her eyes and lie. "Scar. I'm fine. I'm just nervous." "Why?..." He asked. "You're here and it's overwhelming. I'm just glad you're here. That's all." He didn't understand and he didn't want to upset her but he was going to do just that. Her answers were not sufficient enough for him.

She walked to him and put her arms up like a child. He picked her up and held her. "Lex...." He began to speak. She wrapped her legs around him and buried her face in his shoulder. "Just hold me." She told him. Scar held her, rubbing her back and massaging her waist. He walked her to the couch and sat down. He continued holding her. Lex sat on him for a long while. He rubbed her back and trilled low as he attempted to comfort her. She eventually leaned back and touched his mark on his forehead. She inspected him. She observed his eyes and touched the black and tan spikes running along his brow bone and scalp. She studied the reptilian patterns, markings and colouring...he was different.

"We are so different...." She said softly. "Yes.... You are beautiful to me." He told her. She looked down. "I find myself needing to see your face all the time. In Mexico, you couldn't get your mask off fast enough." She felt overwhelmed. Scar could feel her trembling. "I love you." She told him quietly. "Lex, I love you. So much. You are trembling. Will you tell me?" He asked. She shook her head no. "Lex...." "Please Scar...I....just please...." He rubbed her shoulder. She looked to the fireplace. There was very little wood.

"Scar, I'll be fine. Are you tired!?" "No..." "We need wood. To keep the fire burning. I need to go outside and cut down a few branches. I can tell that you hate this cold weather. You can stay here or come with me. It shouldn't take too long." Scar tilted his head and glowered at her. He began to stand with her on his lap. She quickly put her hands around him and he held her with one arm. He lowered her to the floor. He was such a hulking presence. He literally dwarfed her.

He walked and reached for his mask. "Ok, I'll put on my coat. We can go and come right back." Lex told him. "We do not have to rush." He told her. She nodded and smiled.

They exited the cabin, Lex grabbed her axe and they headed for the woods. Lex had a small tree she would cut and gather wood from. Scar scanned their surroundings. "No one is here." He told her. "Great, there is no one around here. It's why I love being here." She told him. "I understand. Are we going to cut a lot of wood?" He asked. "I'd like to cut enough to last for a while. Especially if there is a snow storm." She told him. He nodded. They walked through the woods to her tree. She touched it. It was in good condition. "This is the tree. It's getting smaller. Should be easier for me to cut." Lex told him. Scar studied the tree.

Lex took notice of another tree. It was tall and healthy. She decided this would be the next tree to go once they'd taken all the available wood from her smaller tree. She walked over and touched it. "This tree is perfect. It's a bit big but it will supply us with much needed wood." " I understand, will we take it?" "Oh.....yes, we will need this one too. This one will definitely need the chainsaw though." She said.......pondering. Scar tilted his head. He walked closer to the bigger tree and looked up. It had to be at least 25-30 feet tall. He touched the tree. It was indeed healthy and would supply much needed wood.