Chapter 45

Chapter 45

LEAH’S POV

Sitting at the kitchen table alone, my thoughts kept going back to my nightmare.  His face, his voice and the way he smelled, still all too real in my memories.  I wish there was a way to erase all of those things.  Maybe then I’d sleep well.

I was hungry, Jason and I hadn’t eaten diner the night before, and I wasn’t sure about Chris.  Then I remembered the conversation Chris and Jason had before our shower.  Chris needed help with his assignment.

His books still on the table I found what he was having trouble with.  I grabbed a pen and went to work.  I did his homework for that subject, I wasn’t sure where he was at but I did the whole thing.  Before handing it over to the teacher he would just have to write it back since our writing was different.  I had trouble reading his, God knows how the teacher could read it.

It took me close to an hour before I was done and by then Jason was sitting next to me.  He didn’t talk, he just watched me do his brother’s homework.  I felt bad, Chris had asked for help and we had other things in mind.  This was my way of helping him out, that way he wouldn’t get in trouble or get a zero on his work since it would be late.

When I was done, I closed his books.  I left my paper at the page where I had been working so he could find it easily. 

‘Why did you do that?’ Jason finally spoke.

‘Because, we didn’t help him yesterday and I don’t want him to get in trouble.’ I answered him.

He kissed the side of my head, I knew it was his way of saying thank you without having to say it.  I placed my hand on his leg, let myself lean on him and rested my head on his upper chest.  I just breathed, I loved his smell and he knew it, like I knew he loved mine.

‘Morning.’ Chris said, coming to sit at the table with us.

‘Hey.’ I said back.

‘How did you sleep?’ Jason asked him.

‘My back hurts.’ Chris told us.

‘I want to talk to you about something.’ Jason told Chris.

‘Okay’ he answered still half asleep.

‘We’re moving and we wondered if you wanted to move with us.  We could get a two bedroom but the only thing is you’d have to help out.  Get a job or something, not full time since you got school and that’s number one but just to help out.  I’d take care of the rest.  Leah doesn’t know if she can work, since…well, since...’ Jason said.

‘Leah’s not my real name.’ I finished for him.  Jason and I, both looked at each other and I smiled at him.  I had never said that to Chris, well not in those words.

‘Leah’s not your real name?’ Chris asked me.

‘No’ I told him, shaking my head.

‘What is it then?’ he asked.

‘It doesn’t matter, that’s my old life.  My name is Leah but I’m not sure I have all the paper work to be in the system, to work.  I know with school you need some but to work, to do income taxes and everything.  I’m not sure if I have everything I need.’ I answered him.

‘Okay.’ He said looking at me then he turned to Jason. ‘So a two bedroom?  I’d get my own room, right?’ he asked.

‘Yeah, you’d get your own room.  We could tell people that Leah and I are living together and you moved in with us so it would be cheaper.’  Jason looked at me, and said, ‘and if it’s ok with Leah, maybe you could bring Laura over sometimes.’