Chapter 30

Chapter 30

LEAH’S POV

After kissing Jason goodbye, he told us to have a good day.  I heard Jason tell Chris to not fuck it up.  Whatever that meant.

Chris and I were now sitting in the bus on our way to school.

‘You know I had a cold shower this morning.’ He told me, which made me laugh.

‘I’m sorry.’ I said.

‘It’s not fun.’ He said.  I looked at him with a give it a rest, you showed up at my house, at night, wanted a place to sleep, so shut up and leave it, look.

Happy he got my point, he changed the subject.  ‘Are you ok?’ he asked me.

‘Am I ok about what?’ I asked..

‘This morning, you have nightmares?  Where does your mom sleep?  Isn’t she going to be super pissed when she sees that Jason is practically living there… ?’ Chris asking a lot of questions, which I expected.

I just wanted to tell the truth but tell him to keep it to himself, or else.

‘Chris!’ I said loud enough to shut him up.  When I had his attention I finally spoke, ‘Listen, you want to know, it stays with us, you don’t talk about it with anyone, not even Laura.’ I told him.  His eyes went big, if I kept anything from Laura it had to be big.

‘You don’t need to know everything, it’s none of your business, but yeah I have nightmares.’ I closed my eyes and added, ‘every night.  It’s the past and…isn’t important.  My mom doesn’t live with me, I live on my own.  Being 17 and it being illegal, the story is my mom lives with me.  No, my mom won’t care if Jason lives with me.  If you say this to anyone and it gets out, I won’t be able to stay here, they’ll send me back.  And I don’t, I can’t let that happen.  I know you have more questions and don’t ask me at school, do it back at the apartment.’ I asked him.  He didn’t look sure, I put my head down and added, ‘Chris, I’m begging you.  Please, don’t make me lose everything I love, they’ll make me go back.’

I heard him take a deep breath, and move his head. ‘Yeah, ok.  I do have questions, I’ll ask them later back at the apartment.  But one thing, you should tell Laura, she the best girl and you lying about everything…it’s going to hurt her.’ He said.

‘Right back at you.  You broke her heart and she doesn’t even know why.’ I told him.

‘What happened?’ I asked.

‘What happened at home with my brother, him being…’ he stopped. ‘In jail’ I added. ‘Yeah, I was pissed, I didn’t visit him or anything and he came back home and not even a week goes by and they throw him out.  I don’t even know where he was, but, I was angry at my parents for kicking him out and at him for causing shit.’ He said.

‘The Friday after the party, he walked me home.’ I said to Chris who was looking at me. ‘I had a nightmare and he didn’t want to leave me alone, we talked the whole day, he bought me breakfast and diner.  You and Laura are my friends, but your brother…Jason, he’s my first real friend, who knows anything and everything about me.  He doesn’t judge, doesn’t push.  He lets me be the real me, he lets me talk and I do the same with him.  Or I hope I do.  He’s not perfect, I’m far from perfect, no one is, but,’ I rolled my eyes, ‘so stupid to say this, he’s perfect for me.  There’s no hiding, no secrets and most importantly, no lies.  Yeah we can argue, but, I wouldn’t argue with anyone else.’ I told Chris.  Maybe he would understand a little more about Jason, about our relationship and about me.

I could see a little smile, ‘You love him.’ He said.

I smiled back, ‘Yeah, with no doubt in my mind.’