Chapter 12 - Learning About Leah's Past

Chapter 12

**IN THIS CHAPTER PLEASE BE ADVISE YOU LEARN FROM  LEAH/MANDY PAST.  IT DOES GO INTO DETAILS, JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW.  **

‘Hey! Breath, I’m sorry, I’m sorry! Jason said.

I finally inhaled, and tried to calm my heart beat.

When I was a bit calmer, I was able to say, ‘Leah, never ever call me…Mandy.’

‘Ok, I’m sorry, here’ he said and put a small blanket over my shoulders.  I looked at him questionably.  ‘You’re shaking.’ He simply said. 

We stayed in uncomfortable silence for awhile.  I didn’t want to talk but I knew he had questions.  I looked at him and said, ‘go…ask.’

‘I don’t wanna...’ he started but I cut him off, ‘ask’ I practically ordered while rolling my eyes.

He nodded, ‘When did it start?’ he said.

‘When I was little, I noticed my mother always had bruises on her.  Her legs, her stomach, her arms, sometime even her face.  I didn’t understand really but wasn’t stupid enough to ask.  I knew it was my father.  Almost everyday he was drunk, you could smell it, didn’t even have to be sitting next to him.  Every night when my mother would put me in bed, she would tell me to stay in the room, and not come out.  I could hear them argue, sometimes even hear her scream.  She would always tell me to stay out of it, I didn’t understand, I thought maybe I could help.  One day I did, I left my room and went into the kitchen where the noises were coming from.  My mom was lying on the floor trying to shield herself and he was kicking her on the side of her stomach.  I rushed and tried to push him but he saw me coming.  He was angry before but when he saw me, it was like gasoline to a fire.  He hit and kicked me a few times, and then spate on me.  I could tell when he was done with my mother and me that his rage had calmed down and he left the room.  I was bleeding from my nose, and there was a cut on side of my face near my eye.  My mother was angry with me, she said that I didn’t listen, I didn’t stay in my room, no wonder my father had hit me.  She implied that I got what I deserved.  After that I stayed in my room.  I didn’t want to get beaten, nor did I want my mother to.  The only difference is, this time I listened.  Then one day, it wasn’t even night time and I wasn’t in my room, I saw my parents arguing and fighting.  I was in the living room and they were in the hallway in the house on the second floor.  I remember hearing my mother scream and then something hitting the floor.  I went to see what it was and she was laying on the floor next to the stairs, not moving.  My father still up-stairs.  I ran to my mother, she was still alive.  One of my father’s friends is a doctor, he said she was alive but had broken her back.  She was paralyzed from the neck down.’  I took a deep breath and I grabbed the roll of toilet paper that was still in my living room, wiped my eyes and blew my nose.  It was tiring remembering all that, but the sad part.  I wasn’t even close to being done.  I wanted to stop but also I didn’t, if I did, I’d have to continue another day and I didn’t want to.  So I thought, say it now then it’s done.  I won’t need to say it again.

I took a breath and continued.

‘I never knew where my mother went, my father never told me and he was never home during that time.  I was alone, he didn’t even sleep at the house.  It felt…strange, nice.  One day my mother was brought home, my father was with her.  She couldn’t move, at all.  Always laying in her bed, not doing anything.  She could talk, but every time I would try to speak to her, she would never answer.  A few days past and I kept noticing my father looking at me, he was drunk all the time like before so I tried not to pay any attention to it.  But my gut told me something was off.  I couldn’t put my finger on it, I tried to avoid him, not be in the same room as him, or if I was, not stay to long.