Chapter 20

Chapter 20

*JASON’S POV*

I woke up and it was still dark outside, I turned to look at her but she wasn’t in bed anymore.  I got up put my jeans on and went in the door way to look and see if she was in the living room.

She was sitting in a ball, on the couch and I could see she was crying.  I started to move so I could sit next to her and the floor cracked beneath my foot.  She jumped and turn to see in my direction, I put my hands up and said ‘It’s just me, its ok.’  She put her head down on her knees.

I took this time to sit next to her.  It always broke my heart to see her like this.  I cursed under my breath, if I ever went face to face with her parents, I would…  I just shook my head back and forth because I knew if anything happened, it still wouldn’t help her, her past was still her past.  It would help me, beating the shit out of her father, I had dreamt of that multiple times.

‘Hey’ I told her. 

No response.

‘Hey, look at me.’ I tried again but still keeping my voice soft.

She turned and looked at me, her eyes were puffy, she must have been crying here for awhile.

‘Come here.’ I told her and I taped where I wanted her to sit.  I added ‘Promise’.  She always relaxed more when I said that.  I’d never hurt her.  Well not on purpose anyway.

She started to move closer and I opened my arms so that I could hold her.  After a few seconds she put her arms around me and I could feel her tears were getting my t-shirt wet but I didn’t care.  I had never slept with a shirt before, well not since I was a lot younger but here with her, I didn’t want her to get the wrong idea.  I didn’t want to scare her away.

After awhile she raised her head from my chest and she was looking at my shirt then shook her head.  ‘Don’t worry about it.’ I told her.  All I kept thinking night after night was that she did this alone for more than a year.  How she did it, I don’t know.  She’s a lot stronger than she gives herself credit for.

‘I’m sorry’ I barely heard her say.

‘You have nothing to be sorry about.’ I said.

‘I’m just… so tired.  I wish I could fast forward time, to be older, to be able to sleep, have normal dreams.  For things to be different...’  She said while looking back at the window. 

She always did that, looking outside, sometime for hours, like she was a prisoner wanting to be out, free and live.  I always wondered what she was thinking, what was going on in that head of hers.

I didn’t know how to respond to that, so I didn’t.  I didn’t want to make things up, didn’t want to lie, she deserves better than that. 

So I just sat there, my arm resting on the back of the couch going around her shoulders and moving my thumb back and forth on her skin.