Chapter 18

Chapter 18

*LEAH’S POV*

‘You!’ Laura yelled while pointing her finger at me.

I stopped walking and asked, ‘what?’

Laura was finally standing right in front of me, ‘You didn’t call me all weekend!  I was so worried about you!’

‘Why would you be worried about me?’ I looked at her like she had gone completely crazy.

‘You left the party with Chris’s brother!  Do you know he went to jail!  I didn’t know if he killed you, or… anything!’ she continued to yell, which was getting some attention from other people.

‘Calm down.’ I ordered her.  ‘Yes I know he went to jail, yes I know for what, no he didn’t kill me or… anything.’ I told her.  My voice low so only that she could hear.  I didn’t need the whole school to know.

‘Did he walk you home?’ she asked, her tone now matching mine.

‘Yes, he did.’ I answered honestly, then added, ‘he seems like a nice guy.’ With that said I went around her and continued to walk toward the school, I didn’t want to be late for class.

Laura quickly followed me.  ‘Sorry I was worried, I didn’t know what to think but Leah, he may seem like a nice guy but nice guys to go to prison.  Chris also told me his parents kicked him out.  They wouldn’t do that for no good reason.’

I stopped walking and looked at her in the eyes, ‘Listen, I know you mean well but…I will not judge someone by what others think.  People make mistakes, sometimes big mistakes, and if they are lucky, they learn from it.  It’s not my place to judge and it isn’t yours.’

Laura took a step back and looked at me with big eyes, ‘Oh My God! Did you sleep with him!’ she basically yelled out.

I rolled my eyes and started laughing, ‘No, you nut!’

‘Then you like him!  You can’t say that you don’t, you’re face is getting redder by the second!’ she said pointing at my face.

I was at a loss for words.  All that came out was ‘He’s nice?’

She busted out laughing.  ‘Aww, pretty little Leah, has her first crush.  You’re getting all grown up’ She said using her baby voice, while giving me a hug. 

I pushed her off and rolled my eyes.

‘Just be careful, ok?’  She said in her normal voice. ‘I don’t want to see you get hurt.’

I smiled at her and nodded.  I was so lucky to have a friend like her.  We walked together the rest of the way towards the school and then went separately towards our class.

………………………………………………………………………………………………

Sitting in class, looking at the clock on the wall counting down the seconds until the bell rang.  5,4,3,2,1  then I heard the bell ring announcing to everyone that it was time for lunch.

I grabbed all my things, threw them in my school bag and went to the cafeteria to get me some food.  There wasn’t a long line so it went fast.  I grabbed everything I wanted, looked around until I saw Laura and Chris sitting beside each other giving each other lovey dovey looks.  I shook my head and walked towards them.

‘Excuse me, may I sit here?’ I asked using a very soft voice, clearly interrupting them because Laura jumped in her seat.  Turned and looked at me with “I will kill you eyes” but when she saw it was me, rolled her eyes.

‘I’m sorry, was I interrupting anything?’ I asked Laura and gave her my biggest smile.

Chris answered for her, ‘No, of course not Leah, have a seat.’

‘Thanks’ I said, ‘So, that was some party on Friday!’ I said and I could not contain my smile.

Laura looked at me with big eyes, ‘Yeah, it was great’ Chris answered, putting his arm around Laura’s shoulders.

‘Aww, you guys are too cute’ I said.  It was Laura’s turn to blush. ‘So are you guys... a couple?’ I asked.

They both looked and smiled at each other nodding their heads and Laura answered, ‘Yes, we are officially going out.’

When she turned to look back at him, he kissed her. 

I could tell both of them were happy.  It made me smile, and I thought back to this morning with Jason.  Now it was me who had shy smile on my face.

‘What are you thinking about?’ Laura asked, getting me out of my daydream.

‘Nothing’ I said

‘So my brother walked you home, when you left the party?’ Chris asked me.

‘Yeah, I told him I would be fine but he wouldn’t let me leave alone.  He said it was too late, dark to walk home and in what I was wearing.’ I answer Chris, while Laura was just watching us.

‘Was he… nice?’ he asked, but I wasn’t sure if that was his real question.

‘Nice?’ I asked.  ‘Chris, he walked me home, you want to know if he was nice?  He was great, he didn’t try to take advantage of me, he didn’t bring me into an alley to do drugs, and we didn’t go breaking into peoples houses stealing everything they had.’ I gave him a blank stare.

‘Listen Leah, he did a lot of bad things.  I just don’t want to see you getting hurt.’ He said.

‘Chris, did you hear what you said?  He DID a lot of bad things, not, he’s doing.  It’s called a past because that is what it is.  People screw up, if they try to change, don’t shove their mistakes back in their face.  And before you even ask, yes I know what he did, he told me.  You could tell by his voice that he isn’t proud of himself, that he’s sorry he let you, YOU Chris and your parents down.  Everyone has a past Chris, no one is perfect, everyone learns as we go along.  As for me, I’ve seen a lot worse than your brother.’  With that said, I got up and left the cafeteria. 

School wasn’t over but, I couldn’t stay for the rest of the day.  The hallways were empty because everyone was in the cafeteria, so it made it just easier to walk out.

****Please Comment and Vote!  Thank You!!****