Chapter 2: Friends

So they talked and talked for a while and then they notice it's getting dark but they don't want to go back home so Annabella came up with an idea.

"How about we just sleep here for tonight and tomorrow we can go home. If we don't want to stay home we can pack up all the stuff we care most about and stay here for a little bit. We'll tell our parents we are camping with each other's family. Sounds good?"

Jackson thinks for a moment then nods, "Ya sounds like a plan. Goodnight, Annabella."

Annabella takes out her blanket and stuffed animal.

"You want to be friends?"

"Of course that would be awesome!"

Then they went to bed in the tree.

  The next morning they decided to work on the tree then go swimming in the afternoon when it was warmer.

"So how do you want the door to look, Anna?" Jackson asked Annabella.

"I don't know, maybe leaves stuck into where the branches of the entrance connect, do you get what I'm saying?" she says like she might be explaining too fast.

"A little but maybe you should show me just to be on the safe side." He says with a little bit of an embarrassed look.

Anna laughs picking up a big green leaf that looks like an oval that was in a bush area like a plant.

She goes to the tree with ten of the leaves and says, "So you put the leaves up here," She points to a little crack in between the branches, "and it should make a good door. The leaves should be able to handle us moving in and out of it we just might need to replace them every so often cause they will die eventually."

"Ok looks easy enough for me to do." They look at one another and laugh.

"Good, I will be getting some stuff to use as storage for our backpacks, clothes, and books. I will be back." She says waving.

"Have fun, and please try not to die!" he says and they both laugh.

Twenty minutes later Anna came back with like seven almost perfect square bushes.

"What are those for, Anna?" Jackson asks puzzled.

"They are for storage and hiding spots for our stuff. We just need to cut the roots off, you ok with that?" Anna looks at him to see if she can tell what he's thinking.

"Wow that's a great idea, I love it! We just need to find something to cut the roots now." Jackson looks around the tree then shrugs.

   After 30 minutes of looking Anna finally figures that she could try to break the roots and it works. Then after she gets all the roots off she puts them in the tree she makes one look like a table and puts the candy and water under it, she puts two in the back of the cave where they slept last night and made them little nightstand type things where she put the backpacks and stuff like blankets, her stuffed animal under hers and backpacks, which hold their clothes, of theirs under their own bush night stand. Then she put two by the entrance one on each side with the flashlights under them, the last two she puts on their sides stacked on top of each other like a shelf, on the opposite side of where the table one is, and puts her books on the top one and Jackson's books on the bottom one.

After one hour of hard work on their tree house they decide it's warm enough to go swimming. "You go get changed first i'm gonna touch up out here, ok? And plus it won't take you that long." Anna says, Jackson looks at her

"Ok, I will be quick." Then Jackson is off in the tree and getting changed, that's when it hits her.

"OMG!!" Annabella screeches, Jackson pops his head out.

"You ok?" Annabella looks like she's about to faint Jackson jumps down from the tree and jogs over to her.

"NO I am NOT ok!! We forgot to go tell our parents we are ok!!"

Jackson is in swim trunks and a shirt he grabs Anna's hand.

"Come on we will tell them before we go swimming. What do you want to tell them?" Jackson questions Anna as he is guiding her through the woods to the neighborhood.

"Uh...let's not tell them about the tree, it's our secret place no one can know about it. We will say that we are fine and that we are going to camp for a bit. You will say your camping with me and I will say I'm camping with you. Also tell them that I'm your friend from down the street. Does that sound ok?" Anna looks at Jackson, he's a few inches taller so she tilts her head up a little to look him in the eye.

He looks her in the eye and he smiles, "Yes that sounds great. What should I pack if we are gonna be camping?"

Anna thinks for a moment then says, "Pack a sleeping bag, more clothes, a few lanterns, so we have some decent light and not just flashlights, some actual food not just candy, more water, and whatever else you think you need and possibly a portable charger if you have one so we can have are phones charged." Anna finishes with a big breath, "I think that's it."

Jackson and Anna are approaching Jackson's house. It's a small one story modern house with worn out paint that's starting to peel and a wooden porch with squeaky steps.

"Ok, I will. Do we need a lighter for fire just in case?" Jackson asks.

Annabella thinks for a moment, "Ya sure just in case."

   When they get inside Jackson's parents are sitting in the living room looking very stressed, they jump up and run over to the two of them his mom kisses him.

"Jackson Rodríguez! Where have you been?! We have been worried sick!" She shouts.

Jackson looks at his mom, "I was with Anna, my friend from down the street, I decided to stay with her last night. I've also decided to go camping with her. I don't want to be here with you guys, I don't like it when you fight and you can't stop me from going."

Jackson looks at Anna and then he walks to his room still holding Anna's hand he shuts the door behind them. He grabs a big duffel bag and puts clothes, a sleeping bag, his portable charger and charger

"I have to go to the garage to get the lanterns and lighter and to the kitchen for the food and water. Do you want to come with or would you like to stay here?" Jackson questions looking at Annabella.

"I'll come help you get the stuff."

Jackson nods, puts the bag on his shoulder and takes her hand. They grabbed the 3 lanterns, food and water then went to Annabella's house.

   Annabella's parents were super happy to see her and asked where she was and she told them she was at Jackson's house and she told them she is gonna go camping with him and they agreed. Anna takes Jackson upstairs to her room. She grabs her favorite duffle bag and puts clothes, a sleeping bag, her portable charger and charger, and some more books and a stuffed animal in it.

"The lanterns are in the garage and the water and food is in the kitchen, come on."

They get 3 lanterns from the garage and they get 10 bottles of water, a bag of Goldfish, M&Ms, chips, and they make 5 peanut butter sandwiches and 5 PB&J sandwiches.

"Mom, Dad don't worry I will text you everyday, I will be ok. We will only be gone for 5 days." Anna tells her parents. They don't seem convinced.

"Don't worry I will be fine."

"Ok honey, stay safe." Her mom tells her. They give her a hug, then they head back to the tree.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell me what you think. 

Is it good so far? Do you like it? 

Don't be afraid to comment.