19 | Called in Dead

I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel, looking in the rearview mirror

I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel, looking in the rearview mirror. It was a quiet night, no one really out on the streets.

"Hey, what are you thinking about?" Erin asked as she sat next to me.

"Nothing, really."

"Oh. I, uh..I actually have something I want to tell you." I looked at her, noticing her serious face.

"Yeah. As long as you're not pregnant, we're good." She laughed.

"No. I'm not. It's about a task force, actually."

"A task force? Where?"

"I'm not really sure if I'll take it but I got offered a spot on a task force, I could even run it. It's a really big opportunity but-"

"But nothing. You get out there and you show them that women are absolutely the shit and we can do whatever we want."

"Really? You think so?"

"Yeah. You got a lot of potential in you, babe. Get out there and show it off." She smiled.

"Thank you, I really appreciate it." I opened my arms, engulfing her in a hug.

A loud thud sounded suddenly. Looking behind me, I saw multiple bodies jump in the back of the trunk, laying down.

"Woohoo!" Ruzek excitingly shouted as everyone took off their ski masks. 

"Did you get it?" I asked. Jay held it up to the window.

"Alright. Go, go, go!" I pulled off just as the men who'd been robbed, ran outside, shooting at the us.

I drove to the district, entering through the back entrance. The guys' heavy breathing could still be heard as they joked about the rip they pulled.

"Everybody good? Everybody in one piece?" Hank asked, smiling.

"20 kilos of pure Passion." Toni held up the bag.

"Oh, yeah, it's been a while since we pulled a rip. I forgot how much fun it was." Al smiled.

"I've done some pretty crazy recon missions, that got my heart pumping." Jay said, laughing.

"You two!" Commander Fischer called, coming down the stairs. Hank and Erin followed him to the corner.

"That was awesome. And some great driving."

"Thanks, Halstead. Maybe I could teach you a few things." He scoffed.

"Oh, please. I drive better than you and you know it."

"Keep telling yourself that." I smirked, turning around only to bump into Toni.

"Well, hey."

"Hey. Nice driving back there."

"Thanks, I try."