Poofless- Fireball

Rob's P.O.V.

Preston had always been a little ball of fire, a spit fire when someone insulted his friends or family and over our years together, first as friends, then as boyfriends and finally as fiancées, I often found myself apologizing on his behalf. It normally wasn't to the person he had chewed out, if Preston had yelled then he had a good reason to, it was normally to the audience around us.

I hated confrontation but somehow Preston seemed to get into all of it, every time we were out, whether at be at home or overseas, at the supermarket or a restaurant or at a theme park, or even a YouTube event, Preston got the two of us into some sort of mess. I hated it but Preston was perfect for me in every other way, and I could put up with it.

"Babe?" I asked, sticking my head around the door. Preston was sprawled on the bed with a phone in one hand, looking in no mood to go anywhere. "Come on, you said you would come to the supermarket with me. Lachlan's coming too."

He sighed and grumbled but swung his legs over the edge of the bed, pulling on a jumper. It was cold out- we were in Canada and the other members of the Pack were there for a ski trip. Mitch and Jerome, bless them, honestly they were such a cute couple, were asleep in their room, as was Vikk. The latter had been the last arrival and was still fighting his jetlag. Lachlan had been here for a couple of weeks already and what with his screwed up sleep schedule he was awake too, and bored.

"Fine..." He groaned, rubbing his eyes. "But I'm tired."

"I know you are, Pressy, but it'll only be for half an hour. We desperately need some food and Lachlan is tired too, so I don't want to deal with him alone." The younger boy was only coming because he wanted something eat and although I had told him he didn't have to come, he had insisted because he was bored and could sleep. He was already in the car by the time I dragged my fiancée down the stairs, his phone in hand.

I clambered into the drivers seat and Preston in the passengers seat, clicking seatbelts in before I drove off. We were all silent, the only sounds were quiet music coming from the radio and given that it was almost 4am, there were no cars on the road either.

It didn't take long to get there and the carpark was completely empty when we did arrive, allowing us to park right up front. There was a grand total of like, 3 cars in the lot so I thought that we wouldn't run into anyone for Preston to cause a scene with- but boy was I wrong.

Lachlan was allocated the trolley to push so he didn't get bored and for about half an hour we wandered the story, pulling the things off the shelves that we needed. We had nothing at home, so we needed everything. Salads and deli meat and bread for lunch, cereal and toast and spread and milk (plus a special bottle for Vikk because lord help you if you touch his milk) for breakfast, random crackers or chips for snacks and whatever we could find for dinners. We could cook, but not very well.

There were a grand total of two employees on shift that night, and it seemed that everyone in the store was at the checkouts when we got there. We had too many items to go to the self checkout so we waited behind a middle aged later with a half full shopping cart, rather than having to wait behind the man with a completely full cart.

Lachlan had his head down, playing on his phone, and I wasn't really paying attention either but when I looked up again, I couldn't miss the glare that Preston was giving the lady in front of us. I finally tuned into the conversation and blanched- because lord she was rude.

In the moments I had looked up she had began yelling at the poor cashier, who was white faced and wide eyed, about her card being declined, blaming them for something that was no fault of their own. Preston was sending daggers into her back as she continued to yell, her face going tomato red. She was throwing her fists around too, waving her card everywhere.

"Why is my card being declined! I have money! Why isn't it going through!" The poor cashier looked bewildered and confused and Preston- I could almost see the steam coming out of his ears.

"Preston, don't." I hissed, tugging on his arm. "Don't make a scene."

"But Rob! I can't just stand here!" He glared at me. "And she's already made a scene! I'll just add to it."

Lachlan was looking between Rob and I, slightly bewildered, but the second Preston opened his mouth he gave me a look of realization. I only rolled my eyes, but once he had started there was no way I could stop him. I just had to let him yell.

"Oi! Leave the poor girl alone!" He started, drawing the yelling lady's attention. "It's not her fault your card is declined! Stop making a scene and either find a way to pay, or get out!"

"How dare you!?" She said, aghast and scandalised. "How dare you speak to me like this!"

"Ma'am, you're the one yelling at a minor working the night shift because you can't pay. I'm just trying to get your head out of your ass." He rolled his eyes, one hand on his hip. "Now I suggest you do it."

"How-"

"Nope, I don't wanna hear it!" He glared again. "Do everyone a favour and get your bitch ass out of here!"

He continued to glare at her as she stormed away, leaving her trolley full of already bagged food behind, his arms now folded. The cashier was still white but she looked unbelievably relieved to have the crochety old lady turn away. Preston only smiled and pushed her trolley away, beginning to load our groceries onto the belt. He smiled at the girl, still shaking.

I looked across at the other cash register and mouthed sorry, before smiling and turning back to what I was doing. Lachlan looked mortified, his cheeks dusted red, but he quickly helped pack our groceries so we could get out of there as quickly as possible.

In the car we sat in silence for a moment- until Preston burst out laughing. Lachlan and I shared a smile and I rolled my eyes at my boyfriends antics, taking his hand.

"How Preston?" I laughed. "Why is it every time you manage to get into some sort of scuffle? Dear god, how am I meant to keep you out of trouble?"

"You aren't going to." He giggled, leaning back against the window.

"I know. You're my little fireball."