14

"It's Saturday, Saturday, Saturday....." Maddie's voice can be heard from my bedroom. I groan and try to fall back into slumber again but fail. YaY.

I finally decide to get up. I grab for my phone and see like about 100 messages from Johnny.

Johnny
Rise and shine!
The sun is up!
Wake up!
Morning bells are ringing....
Are you sleeping are you sleeping brother John?
Oh wait you're not brother john.
I'm brother john

Fooking wake up!

I laugh and type back and reply with a simple 'no' . I grin evilly and carry on to pick my outfit. I look at the array of black sweaters. I choose one even though they all look kinda alike.

I hum and look at myself in the mirror. To my surprise, I don't feel as bad as usual about myself even though the scales indicate that I have not gotten any skinnier.

As I pick up the box from my bedside table, a loud thumping comes from my door.

"KENZIEEEEEEE." I squeeze my eyes shut and groan loudly. It's way to early for his antics. I put down the box carefully in the table as I walk over to open my door. Johnny stands there, an obnoxious grin on his face.

"It's way to early John.."

"It's 9am..."

"Wait what!"

I open my phone and it shows 9:13am. I'm slightly pissed because that ruins my schedule. I like to be on time and I like to be organised. I wake up 8:30 every morning.  I frown and almost throw my phone with the anger.

"What's this?"

I look over my shoulder and see Johnny inspecting my tiny box.

"Don't open it!" I almost scream and he gives me a weird look. To be honest, I'm a little embarrassed to let him know that I hang on to those notes so much. I also don't need him asking about the detailed box because I really really did not want to talk about my dad.

"Uh okay... " he trails off as he awkwardly adverts his gaze to somewhere else. His eyes land on the jar where I keep my roses and he bites his lip. I smack my hand on my forehead. I had forgotten he was gonna see that anyways.

He stares a little  weirdly at the roses and cautiously touches them with his fingers. I raise my brows but I don't question him. Finally, the tension is too awkward for no reason and I blurt it out.

"I keep the notes in that box." I'm surprised when the words leave my mouth.

"Oh?"

He sits on the bed and cocks his head to the left slightly. Dang, he's cute. I'm a bit taken back at the sudden thought and pretend like I did not just think my best friend is irresistibly cute in a boyish way.

I find the sudden need to explain and save myself from embarrassment but he opens his mouth first.

"It makes you feel better about yourself doesn't it." He says it like a statement but in a curious tone, as if he's asking me a question.

"Yeah it does.." I finally admit. It did make me feel better, knowing that someone out there thought I looked nice and actually liked me.

He hums in response.

"Do you have any idea who it is?" I blurt out again. He stares at me and clears his throat.

"Not really?"

I sigh and plop next to him. I finally muster up my courage and ask the question again. "Do you think it's Hayden?"

His head snaps up and I see a flicker of disappointment in his eyes. "Why do you keep thinking it's Hayden?" He asks softly but I can feel that he's pretty triggered.

"Well you see I received the note on Monday, the day he transferred to our school. Secondly, he's the first male that's ever called me pretty. On the first time we met even!" I try to explain.

"You seem to keep forgetting I'm a male."

"So ?" I ask him.

"So nothing.."

We both lie back into my bed, deep in thought.

"So who do you think it is?" I break the silence.

Johnny blinks. "I don't know... uh Grant?"

I give him the look. "Seriously...... Grant? Is that all you could come up with? " He just shrugs simply. "Hey we never know!"

The thought of Grant buying me flowers and secretly taping them to my locker makes me giggle.

"Wait- !" I hit sudden realisation.

Johnny blinks again like an idiot.

"My secret admirer taped it to my locker! The person knows my combination!"

Johnny stiffens. "I never thought of that...." He mumbles under his breath.

"Well neither did I." I reply.

I mentally sort through a list of who would possibly know my locker combination.

I come up with three leading suspects. 1. My imaginary boyfriend, Jimmy.
2. Me.
3. Johnny.

I peek Johnny a little glance. It couldn't be him could he? I convince myself Johnny would never play a sick prank like this on me. Plus, he knew I hated being pitied on.

I shorten down my possible suspects and in the end I conclude that unless I've been leaving notes for myself and is rich enough to buy roses without being broke-

My mind stops reeling when I think of the word broke. Johnny is broke. And he knows my locker combination...

But he's your best friend, he doesn't like you in that way.

I push the thought out of my mind and try not to think about it again. It's probably Hayden.

I snap out of my little space out but I realise Johnny is spacing out too. He has a glazed look in his eyes, as if he's dreaming.

I shake him and he jumps slightly. "Uh kenzie."

"What-"

"The roses," he hesitates slightly. "You shouldn't be leaving them in direct sunlight."

"And how would you know?"

"I just know."

"Didn't know you were interested in flowers." I joke but my mind gives me another reason why he knows so much about the flowers.

His familiar smirk returns and all the weirdness from before disappears. "Like I said, there's a lot of things you don't know me."