04

'it'll be fun i promise...."

"

After sometime, we finally arrive at the park where Nadia told us to wait at. The moment Johnny stopped his car, I jumped out and ran to finally  get some fresh air.

"You know you're really weird." Johnny says while looking at me. "Well you're really weird too."

"That makes us compatible does that not?" He jokes and I cringe at his fake accent. "Yup." I reply sitting down on the bench. He sits down next to me instantly.

"Who even have dates in parks. Who even has double dates? It's 2019, my grandparents probably did that stuff...."I snort. He just grins. "You're not wrong though."

"I'm never wrong." I say confidently. He raises his brow. "Whatever makes you sleep at night."

"Where's Nadia? Why did she even invite you on a date? Why?" After waiting for 10 minutes, my impatience is taking over. He shrugs as he suppresses a grin. He fails though.

"Why are you so pressed? You're not jealous she likes me right?"

"Well you've never dated."

He laughs and I glare at him. "Wait you know she likes you ?" I finally blurt out.

He isn't surprised. "I know."

"How do you know?"

"Lauren told me."

I frowned. For a minute I forgot Lauren and Nadia are actually best friends. Which made no sense since she could have just easily asked Lauren to put in a nice word for her but instead she asked me. Weird.

"Do you like her back?" I ask still frowning. He falls into spurts of laughter. "No I don't even know her well!"

"Then why are we here?"

"Lauren forced me too."

My frown deepens once again. Something is really fishy but I can't figure out what. I change the topic."Where is Nadia and the boy? Are they trying to leave us high and dry?"

He shrugs again. "I'd much rather spend time with you." My heart melted at those words. I don't say anything but I take his hand and he lets out a small smile but we sit there like an old married couple on the bench.  Except we're not a couple and we're not married and we're not old.

Just as I'm suddenly grateful they didn't show up, an obnoxious voice reaches into my ear. "Hey bitchessss!" I mentally groan. She made us wait 20 minutes and the moment I'm really glad I'm alone with Johnny she turns up? Really?

She skips over to the bench. "HEY JOHN!"she giggles. I see John sweating as he hesitantly replies. "Uh hi.." it lowkey makes me happy he seems uncomfortable. Selfish I know.

I scoff and turn my head away as Nadia excitedly bubbles to John. I see John give me a desperate look of call for help out of the corners of my eye but I decide to ignore it. Suddenly I see a tall lean figure coming up the hill and I feel much more excited.

"Hey I'm Hayden." The curly headed boy extends his hand. He has a slight British accent. Cute.

"I'm assuming you're Mackenzie." He smiles warmly. I nod my head and wonder how he knew that. Nadia probably told him I guess.

I realise that Nadia has done quiet and when I look over at John and Nadia, they're both staring intently at Hayden and I. I catch a look between Hayden and John and can't help but feel a little bit suspicious. John holds his thumb up. As I return my thumbs up, I realise he's looking at Hayden. Whom he doesn't know. I quickly put my hands down, embarrassed.

Hayden coughs and avert my gaze to him. "Anyways," he coughed awkwardly. Jeez take a pill or some. After a few seconds he looks back at me. "Uhm you're beautiful by the way."

I instantly flush at his words. I suddenly feel so much more happier. I look over to John excitedly and I realise he's smiling. At Hayden. Wait is he freaking gay? I laugh at my weird random thoughts.

"Anyways I think we should go eat!" The excited strawberry blonde bubbles. "Oh okay," Johnny replies uncertainly.

We have McDonald's and Nadia insists on paying. Suddenly I kinda like her. Call me fake and cheap but priorities first. And food was definitely a priority.

"We should go for a walk!" The somewhat less annoying red head says. No one replies and the table is instantly filled with awkwardness but Hayden comes to the rescue.

"Sure Nadia!"

                       _____________

"Are you sure she likes me ?" Johnny asks, clearly amused. I look in front of us and I can even hear Nadia talking excitedly to Hayden while they walk.

"They would make a great couple not gonna lie." He adds on. I nod in agreement. "A really cute couple." I add in too.

"Why can't she just date him?" Or just invite him on a date?" It was quite obvious Nadia didn't actually like John that much. She kept talking to John at first but eventually cooled down and talked to Hayden. She stopped talking to both me and Johnny altogether and honestly I was grateful.

"They're walking rather fast." I squint at the two figures in the distance. "We don't have to catch up with them." He says lazily. "I'd rather spend time with you." He repeats his words from before the 'date' and I can't help but laugh.

"So I heard him calling you beautiful." Johnny says slowly while casually changing topics. "Yeah he did." I beamed. "It makes you that happy huh?" He asked.

I laugh again. "I don't think he has any interest in me but I thinks it's flattering. For once I don't feel so....ugly."

"You're not ugly. "

"Okay okay john lets just change topics." He hums in agreement but I can see the wheels turning in his brain. I know he's brewing something.
"Don't even try to do that. I know what you're thinking." He looks a little bit guilty as he jumps back. "You do?"

"Not really."

He sighs in relief. I wonder but I don't poke around in his thoughts.

"Fine we'll just change topics." He grumbles. "Have you noticed that we can't even see them anymore?" I start.

He looks into the distance. "Wow we really spent our time sitting here chatting while they're walking their asses off." He chuckles.

"We're two pairs of best friends but all of us are so different."

"They're best friends?" I ask.

He nods.

"Isn't that weird?"

"Isn't what weird?"

"That they look so much like a couple but are best friends." I explain.

"Best friends can be couples too."

I ignore the flutter in my heart. "That's kinda weird isn't it?"

He lets out the softest smile. "I take that back," he says. "Best friends make the best couples."

A/n
he's not wrong. Also idc what y'all say I love nadia.