13

Before I knew it, Friday had rolled around. My favourite day of all week.
Finally the day we all been waiting for.

Per usual, the teacher gave us a bunch of homework to do. Per usual, Johnny scribbled from me. Our everyday cycle mainly consisted of that.

I have a hard time paying attention to the teachers. Thinking of all the good stuff we could do after school, I force myself to pay attention.

Lunch comes around faster than I expected. Me and Johnny part ways as I go to sit at the different table.

We have this weird pattern. Johnny belongs to the popular gang with Darius Marcel the flirt, William Franklyn Miller the model, Carson lueders the player and lastly Johnny. I belong to the nerdy group of kids who do weird stuff. We agree to spend as much time together as possible but also spend time with our own friends which is why on sometimes on Wednesday and Friday's we go to our separate tables.

To my surprise, half of the people aren't there. Even after 5 minutes, they aren't here yet. Out of the whole group of people, I usually talk to Emily and Lilia but they weren't here either.

I sigh inwardly as I lean in to talk to Grant."Uh....do you know where the other people are?" I ask awkwardly and nervously. Thank goodness it was Grant, someone I have knew since primary school or else I think I might have fainted. I get extra nervous when I talk to boys and sweat a lot. I'm not exactly thriving in the boys department I guess.

Grant pushes his glasses up, a habit of a long time. "Didn't they tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"They have a Chess Match today." He informs me. I vaguely remember Emily telling me that. It must have slipped my mind.

"Oh oh yeah..."

It's not the first time that they have been to competitions but either Emily or Lilia are there. I look over to Johnny but I see him talking to his friends with an excited look on his face. I don't feel like calling him to come over right now since we've almost spent the whole week together.
It's gonna be a long lunch break.

"Hey !" A familiar voice calls out. No, that familiar voice is not Johnny's but in fact Nadia's. I brace myself for what's about to happen.

"Can we sit here?" Another familiar voice asks. Lauren asks while trailing behind Nadia awkwardly.

It's not surprise Lauren would want to sit with me but I thought Nadia only talked to me so she could get a shot with Johnny.  She's also an extremely popular girl along with Lauren so them talking to me makes me a little freaked out.

"Uh sure."

Nadia happily plops next to me. Lauren sits in front of her and for a moment, the tension is awkward. Nadia then proceeds to take out her french fries and offers me some.

I decline her offering politely. "I'm trying to be healthy to lose some weight."

"It's just a fry, Mackenzie."

I pick at my greens slightly. The French fries do looking tempting but I remember the cookies from yesterday. I was gonna become  very fat.

She eyes that salad cautiously. "Please don't tell me that's all you're eating."

"It's fine, I eat that everyday."

Her mouths turn into a bigger 'O'. She shakes her head in disgust. "Girl, you only eat salad ?!? Who even eats that creepy stuff." She shudders.

"I'm trying to be fit."

"So you don't eat fries at all?"

"Uh i-" she shakes her head in disbelief. She snaps her fingers and urges Hayden to come over. Hayden gets up from his table and I notice Johnny also lifting his head up. He stands up abruptly too and walks over to my table.